Using the right hand rule in physics

In summary, the conversation discusses using the right hand rule to determine the direction of the force on a current carrying wire. The solution involves pointing fingers in the same direction as the current, curling them towards the magnetic field, and the direction of the thumb representing the direction of the force.
J6204
pic1.png

1. Homework Statement

I need to use the right hand rule to determine the direction of the force on the current carrying wire shown in the above figure

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the right hand rule, if I point my fingers in the same direction as I, then curl them towards B, would the force then be the direction my thumb is pointing, so into the page?

Looking for some help,

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
J6204 said:
View attachment 207448
1. Homework Statement

I need to use the right hand rule to determine the direction of the force on the current carrying wire shown in the above figure

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the right hand rule, if I point my fingers in the same direction as I, then curl them towards B, would the force then be the direction my thumb is pointing, so into the page?

Looking for some help,

Thanks!
Correct. F = qv X B

Likes J6204
berkeman said:
Correct. F = qv X B
awesome thanks for the clarification!

1. What is the right hand rule in physics?

The right hand rule is a method used to determine the direction of a magnetic field, electric current, or force in a three-dimensional space.

2. How do you use the right hand rule?

To use the right hand rule, extend your right hand with your fingers pointing in the direction of the first vector (magnetic field, current, or force). Then, curl your fingers towards the second vector. The direction in which your thumb points is the direction of the resulting vector.

3. Why is the right hand rule important in physics?

The right hand rule is important in physics because it allows us to determine the direction of a vector in a three-dimensional space, which is crucial in understanding and solving many physical problems.

4. Can the right hand rule be applied to any vector?

Yes, the right hand rule can be applied to any vector, as long as it is in a three-dimensional space. This includes magnetic fields, electric currents, and forces.

5. Are there any variations of the right hand rule?

Yes, there are variations of the right hand rule, such as the left hand rule and the cross product rule. These variations are used in different contexts, but they all follow the same basic principle of determining the direction of a vector using hand gestures.