Solar spectral irradiance at earth's TOA

In summary, the individual is struggling to reproduce a plot of the Sun's black-body behavior and is experiencing discrepancies when comparing their results to measurements. They have calculated the top of atmosphere irradiance using various factors such as the speed of light, Planck's constant, and the Sun's radius, but their results are roughly twice above the measurement. Possible explanations for this could be the effects of atmospheric absorption and scattering, incorrect assumptions, or the need for additional data and expert advice.
everetthitch
(just tried general astronomy board but no luck)

I'm trying to reproduce a plot of Sun's black-body behavior like this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Solar_Spectrum.png
Problem is, after I convert the black-body radiance to irradiance, its curve is way too high as compared with measurement. The measurement data is taken from:
http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/spectra/.../ASTMG173.html

The top of atmosphere (TOA) irradiance at Earth's distance is obtained in the following way:
radiance (W/m^2/nm/Sr) L=2*h*c^2/(lamda^5*exp(h*c/(kB*lamda*T)-1))
where:
c=3e8 m/s (speed of light)
h=6.625e-34 Joul Second (Planck's)
kB=1.38e-23 Joul/Kelvin (Boltzman's)
omega=pi*r_sun^2/D_sun_earth^2 (Sun disk solid angle as seen from Earth)
r_sun=6.96e8 m (Sun's radius)
D_sun_earth=1.496e11 m (1AU)
Finally irradiance is E=L*omega (W/m^2/nm) (and one needs to multiply 1e9 to be in nm)

My curve is roughly twice above the measurement, so if I do:
E=L*omege*cos(67-deg)
I can get something close to the picture in the wiki link. This 67-deg is roughly Earth's spin inclination. However I really doubt multiplying cos(67-deg) makes sense, as we are talking about TOA irradiance, not anywhere on Earth surface.

What I'm missing here?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
It's possible that you are missing some important factors when calculating the TOA irradiance. Have you considered the effects of atmospheric absorption and scattering? Depending on the wavelength of your radiation, these two processes can significantly reduce the amount of radiation reaching the Earth's surface. Additionally, the angle of incidence of the radiation can also play a role in how much is absorbed or scattered. It might be worth looking into these factors to see if that is the cause of your discrepancies.

Hi there! Sorry to hear you didn't have any luck on the general astronomy board. I don't have expertise in this area, but I did some research and here are some suggestions that may help you figure out what you're missing:

1. Double check your calculations and make sure all the units are correct. It's easy to make a mistake with all those different units involved.

2. Check your assumptions. Are you assuming a perfect black body for the Sun? Are you taking into account any atmospheric effects or absorption?

3. Look for other sources of data or information. Maybe there are other measurements or studies that can help you validate your results.

4. Consider reaching out to experts in the field for their advice. You can try posting on other astronomy forums or even contacting a university or research institute for assistance.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

Related to Solar spectral irradiance at earth's TOA

What is solar spectral irradiance at Earth's TOA?

Solar spectral irradiance at Earth's TOA (top of the atmosphere) refers to the measurement of the amount of solar energy that reaches the outermost layer of the Earth's atmosphere. It is typically expressed in units of watts per square meter (W/m²) and is an important factor in determining Earth's climate and weather patterns.

How is solar spectral irradiance at Earth's TOA measured?

Solar spectral irradiance at Earth's TOA is measured using a variety of instruments, including satellites and ground-based sensors. These instruments use specialized filters, detectors, and calibrations to accurately measure the amount of solar energy at different wavelengths.

Why is solar spectral irradiance at Earth's TOA important?

Solar spectral irradiance at Earth's TOA is important because it is a key factor in understanding Earth's climate and weather patterns. It influences the amount of solar radiation that reaches the Earth's surface, which in turn affects the Earth's temperature, water cycle, and other important processes.

How does solar spectral irradiance at Earth's TOA vary?

Solar spectral irradiance at Earth's TOA can vary due to a number of factors, including changes in the Sun's activity, variations in Earth's orbit, and changes in atmospheric conditions. It also varies at different wavelengths, with some wavelengths being more affected by atmospheric conditions than others.

How is solar spectral irradiance at Earth's TOA used in climate research?

Solar spectral irradiance at Earth's TOA is an important component in climate research, as it helps scientists understand the amount of solar energy that reaches the Earth's surface and how it affects Earth's climate. It is also used in climate models to predict future climate trends and understand the impact of human activities on the Earth's climate system.