Calculated solar irradiation not matching up with measured

• I
  • Thread starter KarenRei
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solar
In summary, the conversation discusses the building of a solar model using real-world data and a simple blackbody curve to fill in the weak extremes of the spectrum. However, when Planck's law is applied to the known data, there is a discrepancy between the calculated and actual values. This is attributed to the fact that the real-world data represents an apparent temperature, rather than an actual temperature. The conversation concludes with the confirmation that the equation setup was correct.
KarenRei
Hi all! I'm trying to build up a solar model, using real-world data where available, and filling in the weak low and high frequency extremes of the spectrum with a simple blackbody curve. All well and good. But when I apply Planck's law to the known data it goes awry!

Here's what I'm working with.

Effective radius of the sun's radiating surface: said to be about 7,00e8m
Blackbody temperature of the sun: Said to be 5778
Earth distance to the sun: 149597870700m
Calculated radial angle: 9,36e-3 (actual said to be 9,35 - so far, so good)
Calculated steradians: 6,88e-5 (actual said to be 6,87e-5 - again, so far so good).
Misc constants:
Planck: 6,6260700400E-34
Speed of light: 299792458
Stefan-Boltzman: 1,3806485200E-23

... that is, staying with SI units.

Okay, now we get to Planck's equation (in terms of wavelength). When I apply it first to short wavelengths - say, 280nm - I come up with 9,5045e12 W/m^2/sr (6,5377e-1 W/m^2/nm). Actual reported:

http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/spectra/am1.5/astmg173/ASTMG173.xls

... is said to be 8,2000e-2 W/m^2/nm. Okay, my value is significantly higher, but that's not necessarily a problem because the sun isn't a perfect blackbody, there's plenty of gaps. As I start going to longer wavelengths, the numbers start to converge toward a perfect blackbody, and then... the real-world power figures *pass* the calculated figures! For example, at 495nm the real-world spectrum is 2,0510e0 W/m^2/nm, but I calculate that a perfect blackbody would emit 1,8135e0.

Obviously the real-world should never be higher than the calculated! So something's wrong here. What do you think the problem might be?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Wait, never mind, I've got it; that figure is just an apparent temperature, not an actual temperature; it's based on how hot a blackbody would have to be to emit the same amount of energy. So since some areas will be under the ideal blackbody curve, some areas have to be over for the total energy represented to match up with the equivalent blackbody.

Okay, good, I didn't mess up my equation setup. :)

Likes berkeman

Related to Calculated solar irradiation not matching up with measured

1. Why does calculated solar irradiation not always match up with measured values?

There are a few factors that can contribute to the discrepancy between calculated and measured solar irradiation. These include inaccuracies in the calculation methods used, variations in atmospheric conditions, and site-specific factors such as shading or nearby objects that may block or reflect sunlight.

2. How can I improve the accuracy of my calculated solar irradiation?

To improve the accuracy of calculated solar irradiation, it is important to use reliable and up-to-date calculation methods, as well as accurate data for factors such as latitude, longitude, and elevation. It may also be helpful to take into account site-specific factors and to regularly calibrate and maintain any measuring equipment.

3. Are there different methods for calculating solar irradiation?

Yes, there are various methods for calculating solar irradiation, including the Hottel-Whillier-Bliss model, the Perez model, and the Hay-Davies model. Each method may be more suitable for different locations or situations, so it is important to carefully consider which method to use for your specific project.

4. Can weather conditions affect the accuracy of measured solar irradiation?

Yes, weather conditions such as cloud cover, humidity, and air pollution can have a significant impact on the accuracy of measured solar irradiation. It is important to take these factors into account and to regularly calibrate and maintain any measuring equipment to ensure accurate measurements.

5. How important is it to accurately measure solar irradiation?

Accurate measurement of solar irradiation is crucial for the design and efficiency of solar energy systems. Inaccurate measurements can result in underperforming systems or even damage to equipment. It is also important for research and understanding of solar energy potential in different locations.