Solar spectral irradiance at earth's TOA

In summary, solar spectral irradiance at Earth's TOA (top of atmosphere) refers to the measurement of the total amount of solar energy that reaches the Earth's upper atmosphere. This energy is in the form of electromagnetic radiation and is responsible for driving the Earth's climate and weather patterns. The spectral irradiance is measured across different wavelengths, from ultraviolet to visible to infrared, and can vary depending on factors such as solar activity and atmospheric conditions. Understanding and monitoring solar spectral irradiance is crucial for studying climate change, predicting weather patterns, and developing sustainable energy sources.
everetthitch
I'm trying to reproduce a plot of Sun's black-body behavior like this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Solar_Spectrum.png
Problem is, after I convert the black-body radiance to irradiance, its curve is way too high as compared with measurement. The measurement data is taken from:
http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/spectra/am1.5/ASTMG173/ASTMG173.html

The top of atmosphere (TOA) irradiance at Earth's distance is obtained in the following way:
radiance (W/m^2/nm/Sr) L=2*h*c^2/(lamda^5*exp(h*c/(kB*lamda*T)-1))
where:
c=3e8 m/s (speed of light)
h=6.625e-34 Joul Second (Planck's)
kB=1.38e-23 Joul/Kelvin (Boltzman's)
omega=pi*r_sun^2/D_sun_earth^2 (Sun disk solid angle as seen from Earth)
r_sun=6.96e8 m (Sun's radius)
D_sun_earth=1.496e11 m (1AU)
Finally irradiance is E=L*omega (W/m^2/nm) (and one needs to multiply 1e9 to be in nm)

My curve is roughly twice above the measurement, so if I do:
E=L*omege*cos(67-deg)
I can get something close to the picture in the wiki link. This 67-deg is roughly Earth's spin inclination. However I really doubt multiplying cos(67-deg) makes sense, as we are talking about TOA irradiance, not anywhere on Earth surface.

What I'm missing here?

Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
try square root.

Chronos said:
try square root.

That doesn't work, making the spectrum broader, let alone w/o any physical meanings...

Related to Solar spectral irradiance at earth's TOA

What is solar spectral irradiance?

Solar spectral irradiance (SSI) is the amount of solar radiation that reaches the Earth's atmosphere at the top of the atmosphere (TOA) across different wavelengths of the electromagnetic spectrum. It is measured in watts per square meter (W/m²).

Why is solar spectral irradiance important?

SSI is important because it is the primary source of energy for Earth's climate and weather systems. It also affects the Earth's temperature, atmospheric composition, and the Earth's energy budget. Changes in SSI can have significant impacts on our planet and its climate.

How is solar spectral irradiance measured?

SSI is measured using instruments such as satellites and ground-based observatories. These instruments use specialized sensors to measure the incoming solar radiation at different wavelengths. The data is then combined to create a spectrum of the solar radiation reaching the Earth's TOA.

What factors can affect solar spectral irradiance?

Several factors can affect SSI, including variations in the Sun's activity, changes in Earth's orbit, and the Earth's atmosphere. The Sun's activity, which includes sunspots and solar flares, can cause temporary changes in SSI. Changes in Earth's orbit, such as its eccentricity, axial tilt, and precession, can also affect SSI over longer time scales. The Earth's atmosphere can also filter and absorb certain wavelengths of solar radiation, altering the SSI that reaches the TOA.

How does solar spectral irradiance impact Earth's climate?

SSI is a crucial component of Earth's climate system. It influences the Earth's temperature, atmospheric dynamics, and ocean currents. Changes in SSI can affect the Earth's climate by altering the amount of energy absorbed by the Earth and its atmosphere. This can lead to changes in temperature, precipitation patterns, and other weather phenomena.