Sodium dodecylbenzene sulfonate- What is it?

• Thread starter chemstudent123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sodium
In summary, the conversation is about Sodium dodecylbenzene sulfonate and understanding its formula and shape. The person asking is confused about the terms dodecylbenzene and sulfonate, and is seeking help with creating a 3D model of the compound. They have been advised to use Google or browse through organic text for more information on the compound.
chemstudent123
I was wonder what exactly Sodium dodecylbenzene sulfonate is?
How does the formula and shape of this look like? I especaillly don't understand wat dodecylbenzene and sulfonate is, is sulfonate another name for sulfate? Plz help me I'm sooo lost:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried google for the formula and shape?

yeah, you could probably find this with google image search (don't trust every image that's displayed though) as it's a popular compound. You can also browse through your organic text, under SN2 reactions, and find it there too (if the compound is what I think it is).

O thx, i got the shape now but I'm supposed 2 do a 3D model of it how would i approach that? P.S. does this formula look right Na CH2(CH2)10CH3 SO3?

Related to Sodium dodecylbenzene sulfonate- What is it?

What is sodium dodecylbenzene sulfonate?

Sodium dodecylbenzene sulfonate (SDBS) is a synthetic organic compound that is widely used as a surfactant, or detergent, in many cleaning and personal care products. It is commonly found in laundry detergents, dish soaps, shampoos, and other household cleaners.

What are the properties of sodium dodecylbenzene sulfonate?

SDBS is a white or pale yellow powder with a faint odor. It is soluble in water and alcohols, and is known for its excellent foaming and cleaning properties. It is also biodegradable, making it a more environmentally friendly option compared to some other surfactants.

How is sodium dodecylbenzene sulfonate made?

SDBS is typically produced through the sulfonation of dodecylbenzene, a hydrocarbon derived from crude oil. The sulfonation process involves treating the dodecylbenzene with sulfuric acid, followed by neutralization with sodium hydroxide to yield SDBS.

What are the common uses of sodium dodecylbenzene sulfonate?

As a surfactant, SDBS is used in a wide range of products to help remove dirt, oil, and other contaminants from surfaces. It is commonly found in household cleaning products, as well as in industrial cleaners and degreasers. It is also used in personal care products as an emulsifier, helping to mix oil and water-based ingredients.

Is sodium dodecylbenzene sulfonate safe to use?

When used as directed, SDBS is considered safe for use in household and personal care products. It has been extensively studied and has not been found to pose significant health risks. However, as with any chemical, it is important to follow proper handling and safety precautions to avoid potential irritation or harm.