Reactivity Series: How to Understand Metal Reactions

• Thread starter CWatters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses how to approach a question regarding the reaction between Sodium Hydroxide and Copper Sulfate. The result of this reaction is Copper Hydroxide and Sodium Sulfate, and the discussion delves into why Sodium is more reactive with Sulfate than Hydroxide. It is mentioned that the number of electrons in the outer shell plays a role in determining the reactivity, but other factors such as standard potentials and minute details can also affect the reaction. Additionally, the conversation mentions a better example of a redox reaction, involving iron and copper sulfate.
CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
It's been 40 years since I did any real chemistry and I'm trying to refresh my understanding of reactive metals.

I'm trying to understand how to approach a question such as "What happens if you mix solutions of Sodium Hydroxide and Copper Sulfate".

I know the result is Copper Hydroxide and Sodium Sulfate.
I know Sodium is more reactive than copper but why is Sodium more reactive with the Sulfate than with the Hydroxide?

I vaguely remember you need to look at the number of electrons in the outer shell and work out which reaction produces the fullest shell? Is that on the right lines?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You have selected a very wrong example (and one that has nothing to do with the reactivity series).

In both sodium hydroxide and copper sulfate metals are already oxidized, so the reaction doesn't take place between them. What happens here is that the copper hydroxide is insoluble and precipitates out of the solution (metathesis reaction).

Better (and a classic one) example is putting an iron nail into the copper sulfate solution. Copper will oxidize iron and reduce itself to the metallic form - that' because iron is more chemically active and is easier to oxidize than copper.

In general it is about standard potentials of the redox reactions (particularly oxidation of pure elements), but there are many minute details that can make things more complicated. Quite often reactivity series is just a rule of thumb.

1. What is the reactivity series?

The reactivity series is a list of metals arranged in order of their reactivity, with the most reactive metal at the top and the least reactive metal at the bottom.

2. How is the reactivity series determined?

The reactivity series is determined by conducting experiments to see how different metals react with water and acids. The more reactive a metal is, the more vigorous its reaction will be.

3. Why is the reactivity series important?

The reactivity series is important because it helps us understand how different metals behave in different reactions. It also allows us to predict the products of reactions between metals and acids.

4. What is the trend in reactivity as you move down the series?

The trend in reactivity as you move down the series is that the metals become less reactive. This is because as you move down the series, the outermost electrons become further from the nucleus and are less strongly attracted to it, making them less likely to react.

5. How does the reactivity series relate to the extraction of metals?

The reactivity series is used in the extraction of metals from their ores. Metals that are higher in the reactivity series are more reactive and therefore harder to extract, while metals lower in the series are easier to extract.