So what to study during the summer?

In summary: That being said, I've read that you can't really do much in the summer or winter if you don't take some prerequisites to college like Calculus and Physics.In summary, the author is considering whether or not to focus on mathematics and physics during the summer in order to better prepare for college-level mathematics and physics courses. He feels that if he does not focus on these subjects, he will not be able to do everything he wants to do in college and may have to take out core courses.
kingdomof
I'm going to be taking Gen Bio/Chem, Calc I, and a Seminar in the fall (first year of college) and I want to study something during the summer. So far I'm just reading some philosophy and balancing things out with Physics (to go over Calculus and build my math skills) Organic Chemistry (I studied Gen Chem by myself during Senior year of HS), and Gen Bio. I kinda feel all of these studies are going to be fruitless and forgotten, barring the Physics as it would help me to an extent when I retake Calc I.

To be honest, I never had a solid foundation in Math until this year when I had to take Calc and teach myself a ton of basic crap which I never really was taught. I'm thinking that I should focus on Calc and Physics, but I want to hear some advice first. I'm looking to be a Biochemistry major but I want to pick up a bit of Physics. I don't want to go into Bio too much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you want to be a biochemistry major if you don't want to get into biology?

You sound more like a biomedical engineer if anything. Either way--I don't think its possible to go wrong with learning calculus. You might want to review some pre-calculus and trig if you're not on solid ground with it though, because that'll probably be the hardest part of calculus for you going into college.

I like Biology on just a Genetics/Biochemical level and to an extent Physiology. It's not that I don't like Biology, it's that I kinda feel I won't have enough time and energy to actually do everything I want to do in college. I'm going to work in a lab as well and I'd learn a big chunk of Biology there. I don't think I'd be able to take every single course I'd wish to, considering my college is restricting me to 16 credits a semester. I'm planning on taking out some core and sciences during the summer/winter.

Related to So what to study during the summer?

1. What are the benefits of studying during the summer?

Studying during the summer can help you stay mentally active and prevent knowledge loss. It can also give you the opportunity to catch up on any missed material from the previous school year, or get ahead for the upcoming year. Additionally, summer studies can help you explore new interests and develop valuable skills.

2. How do I decide what to study during the summer?

When deciding what to study during the summer, consider your academic goals and interests. You can also talk to your teachers or academic advisors for recommendations. Additionally, think about any upcoming exams or classes you may need to prepare for.

3. Can I study anything I want during the summer?

Yes, you can study anything you want during the summer. It is a great time to explore new subjects or delve deeper into a topic that interests you. Just make sure to have a plan and set realistic goals to make the most out of your summer studies.

4. How much time should I dedicate to studying during the summer?

The amount of time you dedicate to studying during the summer will depend on your individual goals and schedule. It is recommended to have a balance between studying and enjoying your summer break. You can set a study schedule that works for you, whether it be a few hours a day or a few days a week.

5. What resources are available for summer studying?

There are many resources available for summer studying, such as online courses, study guides, and educational apps. Your local library or community center may also offer summer programs or access to study materials. Additionally, you can create your own study materials or form a study group with friends.