AP Bio then AP Physics 1 or other way around?

In summary, the speaker is a sophomore planning their courses for next year and is interested in taking AP Calc BC and AP Bio and AP Physics 1 before graduating. They are unsure if they should take Physics during their senior year without Calculus or during their junior year with Calculus. The expert summarizer recommends taking Biology and Calculus first, followed by Physics, as it will allow the speaker to learn about their favorite subject earlier and be better prepared for the Physics course. This may also help in deciding which universities to apply to.
Something123
Hey! I’m a sophomore that is scheduling for next year. Hopefully, I will be taking AP Calc BC next year (junior year). As for my science course, I want to take AP Bio and AP Physics 1 before graduating, but we can only take one per year. So would you recommend Physics during my senior year when I don’t have Calculus or during my junior year when I have Calculus (just as a reference, I’m more interested in Bio, so I’m not looking to go for Physics C).

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Since you are more interested in Biology, I'd take that first along with your Calculus course. Then take the Physics course after that. You get to learn about your favorite subject earlier, and you will be better prepared for the Physics course if you have completed Calculus first, IMO.

Having Biology early also may help you in deciding which universities to apply to. Have fun!

Likes bhobba

1. Which one should I take first: AP Biology or AP Physics 1?

It ultimately depends on your personal strengths and interests. If you have a strong background in biology and enjoy it, AP Biology may be a good choice. If you have a strong foundation in math and enjoy physics, AP Physics 1 may be a better fit. Consider speaking with your teacher or guidance counselor for their recommendation.

2. Are there any prerequisites for taking AP Biology or AP Physics 1?

There are no official prerequisites for either course, but it is recommended that students have completed a high school biology course before taking AP Biology and a high school algebra course before taking AP Physics 1.

3. What is the difference between AP Biology and AP Physics 1?

AP Biology is a course focused on the study of living organisms and their interactions with the environment. It covers topics such as cell biology, genetics, evolution, and ecology. AP Physics 1 is a course focused on the study of mechanics, including motion, forces, energy, and momentum. It also includes an introduction to electricity and magnetism.

4. How much math is involved in AP Biology and AP Physics 1?

AP Biology does not require a strong background in math, but some basic algebra skills are necessary for understanding certain concepts. AP Physics 1, on the other hand, involves more math, including algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. It is important to have a solid foundation in these math skills before taking the course.

5. Will taking AP Biology or AP Physics 1 help me in college?

Both courses are considered to be rigorous and challenging, and colleges often view them favorably on transcripts. Additionally, the critical thinking and problem-solving skills developed in these courses can be beneficial in many college majors, particularly in the science and engineering fields.