So, I didn't get the internship

• Thread starter Physics_wiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internship
In summary, the speaker had their first interview for a job/internship three weeks ago and received a rejection letter yesterday. They are curious as to why they didn't get the internship and are wondering if it would be appropriate to email the interviewer (who signed the letter) for feedback. They are advised to ask about the criteria used for hiring and how their qualifications compared, as well as expressing continued interest in the company. It is also noted that receiving feedback is beneficial for future interviews.
Physics_wiz
I had my first real interview for a job (internship) exactly 3 weeks ago. I received a letter yesterday saying that I didn't get the internship, but I am really curious why I didn't get it. It seemed like I had all the qualifications they were looking for and a bit more. Is there any problem with sending an email to the interviewer (same person who signed the letter) to ask him why I didn't get it? What should I ask him in the email?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics_wiz said:
I had my first real interview for a job (internship) exactly 3 weeks ago. I received a letter yesterday saying that I didn't get the internship, but I am really curious why I didn't get it. It seemed like I had all the qualifications they were looking for and a bit more. Is there any problem with sending an email to the interviewer (same person who signed the letter) to ask him why I didn't get it? What should I ask him in the email?
Sure ask it.

Just ask which criteria they used to hire somebody new and to what extent those criteria were important with respect to each other (what is the weighing factor for each criterium itself, you see ? )

Can i ask you why you thought you had the right qualifications and a bit more ? How do you know this ?

Keep in mind that if somebody gives three different qualifications, they might not be equally important for the new job. Perhaps, they looked at the applications like that ?

ps : it is not the end of the world, you will get many other opprtunities in your life. Do not worry...walk on through the wind, walk on through the rain...

regards
marlon

DEFINITELY get in touch and get feedback from your interview! You haven't got the place, you have nothing to lose, so you may as well get something out of it, and find out where you went wrong. Even when you succeed at an interview it's helpful to get some feedback, particularly if the person interviewing you is someone you'll be expected to work with.

Doing something like that is always a good idea, it shows that you have more interest then 99% of the people he or she interviewed. It will make you stick out in the interviewers mind should something else open up or if the other person doesn't work out.

Related to So, I didn't get the internship

1. Why didn't I get the internship?

There are a variety of reasons why you may not have been selected for the internship. It could be due to a lack of relevant experience, a highly competitive pool of applicants, or simply not being the best fit for the position. It's important to remember that not getting the internship does not define your worth or potential for success.

2. What can I do to improve my chances of getting an internship in the future?

There are several steps you can take to increase your chances of getting an internship. These include gaining relevant experience through internships or part-time jobs, networking with professionals in your field, and continuously honing your skills and knowledge through education and training.

3. Is it worth it to keep applying for internships?

Yes, it is definitely worth it to keep applying for internships. Each application and interview experience can help you improve your skills and understanding of the job market. Additionally, even if you don't get a specific internship, the process can help you make valuable connections and gain insights for future opportunities.

4. How can I handle rejection from not getting the internship?

Rejection can be difficult to handle, but it's important to not let it discourage you. Take some time to process your emotions, but then try to reflect on what you could have done differently and how you can improve for future opportunities. Remember that rejection is a natural part of the job search process and it's not a reflection of your worth as a person.

5. Should I follow up with the company after not getting the internship?

It can be beneficial to follow up with the company after not getting the internship. This shows your continued interest in the company and the position, and can also provide an opportunity to ask for feedback on your application or interview. However, make sure to do so in a professional and non-demanding manner.