Sitting straight not the most ergonomic way to sit

• Medical
  • Thread starter annoyinggirl
  • Start date
In summary, this 2006 study found that sitting in a 135 degree angle is the best for preventing back pain.
annoyinggirl
I have recently been experiencing lower back pain from sitting improperly. So i came across this 2006 study that suggests 135 degree is the best: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6187080.stm
This was very surprising to me, since all my life i have been told by well-intention ed people to "sit straight". I hear it all the time on the media as well (from things like movies, not documentaries)

what do you think? From personal experience, observations, and other scientific research, do you think 90 degree angle or greater than 90 degrees is better, ergonomically speaking? I know from personal experience that < 90 is bad for the back.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
I would agree that less than 90 degrees is bad for your back. I do tend to sit in the 120 to 135 range. I have had times where I had back pains from sitting too much. However, they were all directly attributable to times when I wasn't working out regularly. IMHO, regular exercise is the best way to avoid back pain regardless of how you're sitting - excluding unnatural sitting positions < 90 or underlying back problems.

The advice I got when I was having lower back problems was not to sit in anyone position for too long. It was starting yoga that did the trick though.

PeroK said:
The advice I got when I was having lower back problems was not to sit in anyone position for too long. It was starting yoga that did the trick though.
Sounds like back exercises to me. :)
Definitely agree on not sitting too long. Even getting up and walking a few minutes every hour makes a big difference.

Borg said:
I would agree that less than 90 degrees is bad for your back. I do tend to sit in the 120 to 135 range. I have had times where I had back pains from sitting too much. However, they were all directly attributable to times when I wasn't working out regularly. IMHO, regular exercise is the best way to avoid back pain regardless of how you're sitting - excluding unnatural sitting positions < 90 or underlying back problems.
what kind of exercise did you do (strength training or cardio or stretching)? Also, how does exercise help with back problems? Back problems caused by too much sitting could be due to shifting of the spinal discs or sore muscles. Do you think exercise helps reverse shifted spinal discs and sore muscles?

We do not allow medical advice. Please see a doctor if you have questions.

Related to Sitting straight not the most ergonomic way to sit

1. Why is sitting straight not the most ergonomic way to sit?

Sitting straight can put too much strain on your spine and back muscles, leading to discomfort and potential injuries. It also restricts blood flow and can cause fatigue and muscle tension.

2. What is the most ergonomic way to sit?

The most ergonomic way to sit is to have a slightly reclined posture with your back supported and your feet flat on the ground. This allows for better distribution of weight and reduces strain on the spine.

3. Is sitting straight beneficial for posture?

While sitting straight may seem like the best way to maintain good posture, it can actually do more harm than good. The key to good posture is to have a balance of movement and support, rather than a rigid posture.

4. What are the long-term effects of sitting straight?

Sitting straight for extended periods of time can lead to chronic back pain, muscle imbalances, and even spinal deformities. It can also contribute to poor circulation and digestive issues.

5. How can I improve my sitting habits for better ergonomics?

Some ways to improve your sitting habits include using a supportive chair with adjustable features, taking regular breaks to stretch and move, and incorporating standing or walking breaks throughout the day. It's also important to be mindful of your posture and make adjustments as needed.