Sites for chemistsry programming

• Thread starter jencheeg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programming
In summary, a student is seeking help with writing a computer program to evaluate the Planck distribution for their homework in physical chemistry. They are looking for recommendations on which programming language to use and any helpful tutorials. One person suggests using VBA in Excel and provides a book recommendation, while another suggests using Java, but the first person argues that C++ would be more suitable for numerical calculations.
jencheeg
hi everyone,
one of my homework questions asks me to write a computer program to evaluate the Planck distribution at any temperature and wavelength and add it to a routine for evaluating integrals for the energy density of the radiation between two wavelengths.
I have never used any programming to study chemistry, can anyone show me which language should I use, and some links for the tutorials for programming applied for physical chemistry?
any help appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
thanks but i think i will try it by Java.

Why would you choose to use Java? For numerical calculations C++ is the way to go. I mentioned the book above and the use of VBA because in that book the Planck problem is well documented and easy to follow for someone with no programming experience.

So why Java?

Thanks
Matt

Related to Sites for chemistsry programming

1. What are some popular sites for chemistry programming?

Some popular sites for chemistry programming include ChemAxon, Cheminformatics.org, and ChemSpider.

2. What types of tools and resources are available on sites for chemistry programming?

Sites for chemistry programming offer a variety of tools and resources such as chemical structure drawing tools, databases of chemical compounds, and programs for data analysis and visualization.

3. Can these sites be useful for both beginners and experienced chemists?

Yes, these sites can be useful for both beginners and experienced chemists. They offer a range of resources and tools for various levels of proficiency in chemistry programming.

4. Are these sites free to use?

Some sites for chemistry programming offer free resources and tools, while others may require a subscription or payment for certain features. It is best to check the specific site for their pricing and options.

5. Can I collaborate with other chemists on these sites?

Many sites for chemistry programming have forums or communities where chemists can collaborate, ask questions, and share resources and code. Some sites also offer features for collaborative coding and data sharing.