Sir Isaac Newton Contest Question (Energy)

In summary, the shuttle coasts up a frictionless ram of height 5.0 and angle 30 degrees. After a brief ballistic flight, it lands a distance S from the ramp.
jeran921
Hey
This problem has been stumping me for awhile and I just don't seem able to get it

Homework Statement

A space shuttle lands ona distant planet where the gravitiational acceleration is 2.0 (We don't know the local units of length and timem but they are consistent throughout this problem.) The shuttle coasts alond a level, frictionless plane with a speed of 6.0. It then coasts up a frictionless ram of height 5.0 and angle 30 degrees. After a brief ballistic flight, it lands a distance S from the ramp. Solve for S in local units of length. Assume the shuttle is small compared to the local length unit and that all atmospheric effects are negligible.

Homework Equations

I used the equation
Eg=mgy
Ek=0.5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

first befor it hits the ramp
mv^2/2 = 18m (m is not meters)
on the ramp mgh would be introduced so
mgh+mv^2=?
And this is where I got lost

Physics news on Phys.org
I like to write out the whole thought before resorting to numbers!
I'd say energy before ramp = energy after ramp
KE = KE + PE
½mv² = ½mv² + mgh
Hope that is a start for you. Remember the v on the left is the 6 you know and the v on the right is the end of ramp speed you are looking for.

I'll try to do this but I'm not sure if I can get the right answer (I'm taking intro mechanics). So do you have the answer for me to check?

You go first, ahmadmz!

Ok I did it something like this :

Like you said Energy has to be same, so
Bottom of ramp, (call it point 1) K1 = (mv1)/2 and U1 = 0
Top most part of ramp , (point 2) K2 = (mv2)/2 + 5*m*2 (This 2 is the "g" here).
Equating K1 + U1 = K2 + U2 we can solve for v2 = 4
Then maybe we can use the kinematic equations for constant acceleration to find the S?

Or is there a way to solve this using energy methods only? We are doing this right now in class so I need more experience :)

The 4 looks good. The rest of it is a pretty standard 2D projectile motion question - just remember the end point is below the start point. You know the routine - write out your equations for both the horizontal and vertical parts.

Actually what it sys in the back of the book is 12 units. All that really needs to be done now is use a projectile motion equation and it should give me the answer.

Last edited:

Related to Sir Isaac Newton Contest Question (Energy)

1. How did Sir Isaac Newton contribute to the understanding of energy?

Sir Isaac Newton made significant contributions to the understanding of energy through his laws of motion and theory of gravity. He developed the concept of kinetic energy and defined it as the energy an object possesses due to its motion. He also explained how potential energy is related to an object's position or configuration. His laws of motion, particularly the law of conservation of energy, laid the foundation for our understanding of energy conservation.

2. What is the Sir Isaac Newton Contest Question (Energy)?

The Sir Isaac Newton Contest Question (Energy) is a physics problem that tests students' understanding of energy concepts and their ability to apply them to solve a real-world problem. It is a yearly competition for high school students in Canada, organized by the University of Waterloo, and is known for its challenging and thought-provoking questions.

3. What are some key concepts related to energy that are commonly tested in the Sir Isaac Newton Contest Question?

Some key concepts related to energy that are commonly tested in the Sir Isaac Newton Contest Question include kinetic and potential energy, work, power, energy conservation, and energy transformations. Students are also expected to have a good understanding of Newton's laws of motion and the concept of momentum.

4. How can students prepare for the Sir Isaac Newton Contest Question (Energy)?

To prepare for the Sir Isaac Newton Contest Question (Energy), students should review key concepts related to energy and practice solving physics problems. They can also familiarize themselves with past contest questions and their solutions to get a better understanding of the types of problems that may be asked. Additionally, working on sample problems with a timer can help students improve their speed and accuracy.

5. What are some tips for solving the Sir Isaac Newton Contest Question (Energy) effectively?

Here are some tips for solving the Sir Isaac Newton Contest Question (Energy) effectively:
- Read the question carefully and identify the energy concepts involved.
- Draw a diagram or visualize the situation to better understand the problem.
- Use the given information and equations to solve for the unknown quantity.
- Check your answer for reasonableness and accuracy.
- Practice solving similar problems to improve your skills and speed.