Singularities in General Relativity

In summary, there are two kinds of singularities in General Relativity: the singularity of Black Holes and the singularity at the beginning of the universe. The former seems to make sense, while the latter is more controversial. Some argue that the singularity at the Big Bang implies that galaxies have always existed in their current form, but this is contradicted by evidence such as the Cosmic Microwave Background. The concept of a singularity in General Relativity simply represents a point where our mathematical model breaks down and we do not fully understand what is happening. It does not necessarily mean that galaxies have existed since the beginning of the universe, but rather that the universe was in a very different state at that time.
Tio Barnabe
There are two kind of singularities which are familiar in General Relativity. One of them is the singularity of Black Holes and the other is at the beggining of the universe.

I'm confortable with the former singularity --it seems to make sense. But as with the latter, I'm not so confortable, because I'm going through the following reasoning:

1 - A singularity in General Relativity as far as I know happens when you have enough matter in a region small enough.

2 - Then, talking about a singularity at the moment of the Big Bang is equivalent to saying that there was a plenty of matter together in a small region. This seems to assume that the current galaxies have been existing in the way they are today since the Big Bang, and that at the moment of the Big Bang they were in some sense pilled up. My disconfort comes from the fact that there was no matter at all to form galaxies at the moment of the Big Bang.

My conclusion is then that in this reasoning, we should assume that galaxies have been always existing in the way they are today, with the difference that today they are more far away from each other than they were in the past. Correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tio Barnabe said:
My conclusion is then that in this reasoning, we should assume that galaxies have been always existing in the way they are today, with the difference that today they are more far away from each other than they were in the past. Correct?
No. That would fly COMPLETELY in the face of evidence (such as the CMB)

You are treating "singularity" as though it had physical meaning. I believe it has been pointed out to you before that "singularity" is just a place-holder word so that physicists don't have to keep saying "the place where our math model breaks down and we don't know WHAT is/was going on".

Likes vanhees71
You are treating "singularity" as though it had physical meaning
"the place where our math model breaks down and we don't know WHAT is/was going on".

Yes. But then you are talking solely of the singularity, whereas I'm considering the context, that is, when the singularity appears in the theory, which in this case is basically when you put enough matter together.

Tio Barnabe said:
Yes. But then you are talking solely of the singularity, whereas I'm considering the context, that is, when the singularity appears in the theory, which in this case is basically when you put enough matter together.
You seem to have posited that galaxies don't form, they just jumped into existence at t=0 but we know that not true. The Hubble telescope shows galaxies in the early stages of formation.

Tio, I don't wish to be rude but your whole theory just seems to be silly. I recommend Weinberg's "The First Three Minutes".

What you are saying is just the opposite of what I'm saying in the opening post. Please, carefully read it again.

Tio Barnabe said:
Big Bang is equivalent to saying that there was a plenty of matter together

No, not really. The BB is a subtlety for itself but if we want to stick to your notions I would replace "plenty of matter" by "infinite energy density", where all gauge bosons (e.g. photons ##\neq## matter) + dark energy + dark matter + usual matter (elementary particles) count to the energy density. Galaxies have not existed at the beginning, but elementary particles (what ever are the real elementary particles), gauge bosons, DM and DE have. You should also be aware, that the BB doesn't denote "the beginning of everything", but rather the point where our understanding of the Universe totally breaks down and a quantum theory of gravity is needed. When typical distances approach the Planck length, we cannot describe the Universe any longer using GR alone.

Tio Barnabe said:
What you are saying is just the opposite of what I'm saying in the opening post. Please, carefully read it again.

Gee, I can't imagine how I got the idea that you think galaxies have been around in their currrent state ever since the era of the big bang. OH ... wait, maybe it was because you said EXACTLY that:

Tio Barnabe said:

Likes vanhees71
@Metmann
"infinite energy density", where all gauge bosons (e.g. photons ##\neq## matter) + dark energy + dark matter + usual matter (elementary particles) count to the energy density
Hmmm, interesting to know. Could this huge amount of energy provoke a singularity in the space time?

@phinds Sounds like a miscommunication between you and me. Perhaps due to my poor knowledge of English.
So I was arguing that for the given claim (singularity at the Big Bang) to be consistent with General Relativity, maybe I am forced to make that conclusion.

@phinds Sounds like a miscommunication between you and me. Perhaps due to my poor knowledge of English.
So I was arguing that for the given claim (singularity at the Big Bang) to be consistent with General Relativity, maybe I am forced to make that conclusion.[/QUOTE]I guess I'm not clear on what conclusion you are reaching if it is not that galaxies had to have existed at the time of the big bang. That is what you said and that is what I responded to.

Tio Barnabe said:
A singularity in General Relativity as far as I know happens when you have enough matter in a region small enough.

Heuristically, this is a reasonable way to look at it.

Tio Barnabe said:
talking about a singularity at the moment of the Big Bang is equivalent to saying that there was a plenty of matter together in a small region. This seems to assume that the current galaxies have been existing in the way they are today since the Big Bang

It assumes no such thing. The matter in the early universe was very different in structure from the matter we see today. For one thing, it was much hotter and denser; for another, its density was much more uniform, since gravitational clumping had not had billions of years to form structures like galaxy clusters and galaxies and stars and planets.

Tio Barnabe said:
Correct?

No. See above.

Likes vanhees71 and Tio Barnabe
Tio Barnabe said:
Could this huge amount of energy provoke a singularity in the space time?

It's worth pointing out here that the singularities that occur in the idealized GR models of black holes and the universe are not considered to be an indication that such things are present in the actual universe. They are considered to be an indication that when energy density/spacetime curvature gets large enough, GR breaks down as a theory and will need to be replaced by a more comprehensive theory that is able to treat such regimes (most physicists think this more comprehensive theory will be whatever theory of quantum gravity turns out to be correct). So thinking of singularities as things that actually happen when enough matter or energy is collected in a small enough space is not really the right way to think about them.

Likes Tio Barnabe
PeterDonis said:
singularities...are considered to be an indication that when energy density/spacetime curvature gets large enough, GR breaks down as a theory and will need to be replaced by a more comprehensive theory
Just to add - GR starts by modelling spacetime as a smooth manifold, then promptly derives the existence of singularities which are pretty much the definition of "not smooth". That kind of self-contradiction is generally regarded as a Bad Thing, but the theory gives accurate predictions where we can test it. So people generally suspect very strongly that there's something wrong about how GR describes situations "near" where it predicts singularities. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to do experiments in such extreme cases to see exactly how the theory goes wrong.

Likes Tio Barnabe
Ibix said:
GR starts by modelling spacetime as a smooth manifold, then promptly derives the existence of singularities which are pretty much the definition of "not smooth".

It's more subtle than that. The singularities are not part of the manifold, so the manifold is still smooth. In fact this was a major issue during the late 1960s and early 1970s, because the fact I've just stated meant that coming up with a rigorous definition of what it actually means for a spacetime in GR to have a "singularity" was not a simple task. The definition that was finally settled on was geodesic incompleteness, which is not equivalent to "the manifold is not smooth". Geodesic incompleteness, specifically when spacetime curvature/stress-energy density becomes sufficiently large, is what makes physicists think that GR breaks down in this regime.

Related to Singularities in General Relativity

What is a singularity in general relativity?

A singularity in general relativity is a point in the universe where the curvature of spacetime becomes infinite. This means that the laws of physics, as we know them, break down and become unpredictable. Singularities are often associated with black holes, where the gravitational pull is so strong that even light cannot escape.

What causes a singularity to occur?

Singularities are caused by the collapse of massive objects, such as stars, under their own gravity. As the object's mass becomes more concentrated, the curvature of spacetime becomes stronger, eventually reaching a point of infinite curvature.

Are singularities real or just theoretical constructs?

While we cannot directly observe singularities, they are predicted by the equations of general relativity and have been used to successfully explain various phenomena in the universe, such as black holes. However, some scientists believe that our current understanding of singularities may not be complete and that further research is needed.

Do all black holes have singularities at their centers?

According to our current understanding of general relativity, all black holes have singularities at their centers. However, there are ongoing debates and research about the possibility of "naked" singularities, which do not have an event horizon and could potentially be observed.

Can anything, including information, escape a singularity?

As the laws of physics break down at a singularity, it is currently believed that nothing, including information, can escape. This is known as the "no-hair" theorem, which states that a black hole's properties, such as its mass and spin, are the only information that can be observed from outside the event horizon.