What Would You See Inside a Black Hole? | General Relativity

In summary, if an astronaut were to cross the event horizon of a galaxy center type black hole, avoiding the accretion disk and any jets, and look outward just after crossing, they would see a severely distorted star field. Looking around their spacecraft, they would see a normal appearance. This topic has been discussed multiple times and Andrew Hamilton has created informative videos on the process of infall into a black hole.
Randy Subers
TL;DR Summary
What does it look like looking out from inside a black hole?
For this assume General and Special Relativity and not some of the quantum enhancements that have been proposed for them. If I were an astronaut who just crossed the event horizon on a galaxy center type black hole (big enough so I would not be immediately spaghettified) and avoided the accretion disk and any jets on the way in and looked outward (away from the singularity) just after I crossed the event horizon, what would I see?
A more or less normal star field?
A severely distorted star field?
Pure black? or
Something really strange?

Also if I then looked around my spacecraft would it look normal (pre-spagettification)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest a forum search. Topics has been brought up many times.

Likes Umang Soni
Randy Subers said:
just after I crossed the event horizon, what would I see?

Andrew Hamilton has created a great series of videos on this (not just the specific point right after the astronaut crosses the horizon, but the whole infall process, from far above the horizon all the way through down to the singularity):

https://jila.colorado.edu/hamilton/black-holes/journey-schwarzschild-black-hole

Likes berkeman

Related to What Would You See Inside a Black Hole? | General Relativity

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star collapses in on itself.

2. How big are black holes?

The size of a black hole is determined by its event horizon, which is the point of no return for anything that enters it. The event horizon is directly proportional to the mass of the black hole, meaning that the more massive the black hole, the larger its event horizon.

3. What would happen if you entered a black hole?

If you were to enter a black hole, you would experience something called spaghettification. This is when the extreme gravitational pull of the black hole stretches your body into a long, thin shape. Eventually, you would reach the singularity at the center of the black hole, where the laws of physics break down and we do not know what would happen.

4. Can we see inside a black hole?

No, we cannot see inside a black hole because the event horizon blocks all light from escaping. This means that anything that enters a black hole, including light, cannot be seen from the outside.

5. How does general relativity explain black holes?

General relativity is a theory of gravity that was developed by Albert Einstein. It explains that the gravitational pull of a massive object, such as a black hole, warps the fabric of space and time. This warping causes objects to follow curved paths, which is why objects are pulled towards the center of a black hole.