Inflationary vs deflationary phase of Big Bang

BIGphysician
TL;DR Summary
Shape of the big bang? And universe?
Hi I'm a medical doctor, this is just a hobby my uncle got me interested in as a kid. If the universe is acceleration and galaxies are moving further apart, we assume the universe as a whole is expanding as a result. It's also projected to my understanding that eventually the universe will contact and a cycle of matter and force creation will be recycled four the next big bang.

How do we know that we aren't accelerating towards a singular contraction point rather than away from one (deflating vs inflating). Every galaxy is moving away from every other at the same rate and distance?

What's the shape of the universe? If it's an expanding sphere with a centrally located origin of force, galaxies originating from different relative locations at the singularity would result in different relative distances?

Space news on Phys.org
Is that what your uncle told you?

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50 and berkeman
Welcome to PF, doctor. :smile:

Have a look at some of the PF Insights articles about the Big Bang and related issues, to see if they help with your understanding:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/?s=big+bang

PeroK said:
Is that what your uncle told you?
Something like that, he wrote a several thousand page primer on quantum mechanics but it's over my head, what's your view of the meta physics

BIGphysician said:
If the universe is acceleration and galaxies are moving further apart, we assume the universe as a whole is expanding as a result.
No, we don't assume - we can see distant galaxies moving away in all directions. It's also a fairly straightforward implication of feeding the cosmological principle into Einstein's Field Equations.
BIGphysician said:
It's also projected to my understanding that eventually the universe will contact
Assuming you mean "contract" here, maybe. Our best estimates don't rule out an eternally expanding universe.
BIGphysician said:
and a cycle of matter and force creation will be recycled four the next big bang.
That's highly speculative. Penrose thinks so, but it's not anywhere near a fully fleshed out theory, let alone generally accepted.
BIGphysician said:
How do we know that we aren't accelerating towards a singular contraction point rather than away from one (deflating vs inflating).
I don't even know how that would make sense.
BIGphysician said:
Every galaxy is moving away from every other at the same rate and distance?
No. For any pair of galacies a given distance apart they are moving further apart at the same rate (more or less, excluding gravitationally bound ones). That does not mean all galaxies are moving apart at the same rate.
BIGphysician said:
What's the shape of the universe?
Infinite in extent, would be our best guess. Even in the case of a closed universe, though, there is no center.

BIGphysician said:
what's your view of the meta physics
This is a forum about physics, not metaphysics.

Likes Vanadium 50 and dlgoff
BIGphysician said:
what's your view of the meta physics
Probably not too different than your view of "metamedicine".

• Haha
Likes berkeman and phinds
BIGphysician said:
If the universe is acceleration and galaxies are moving further apart, we assume the universe as a whole is expanding as a result.
Assuming you mean accelerating and not acceleration (which in your sentence would not make sense) then you have it backwards. The universe is expanding due to something we do not understand the cause of. We call it "dark energy" and BECAUSE of dark energy, the galaxies that are not locally bound are moving away from each other.

If two galaxies are a billion light years apart and are receding from each other at, say X miles per hour, then two galaxies that are two billion light years apart are receding from each other at 2X. Expansion is a rate based on distance, not a set speed.

phinds said:
The universe is expanding due to something we do not understand the cause of. We call it "dark energy" and BECAUSE of dark energy, the galaxies that are not locally bound are moving away from each other.
Are you talking about expansion or accelerating expansion?

Likes PeroK
Jaime Rudas said:
Are you talking about expansion or accelerating expansion?
Good catch. Thank you.

Obviously I was talking about, and should have SAID I was talking about, the acceleration of expansion.

@BIGphysician the current expansion of the universe is a result of the ORIGINAL expansion of the universe. Dark energy has cause that expansion to accelerate. It was believed until fairly recently that the expansion of the universe would either slow down and reach a steady state or even reverse and collapse backwards.

It was discovered in the first actual evidence either way that, much to scientists surprise, the universe's expansion was accelerating. This was so unexpected that the data was at first suspected, but found to be correct.

1713064478780.png

Likes berkeman and Jaime Rudas
  • Informative
Likes phinds