∫〖Sin^(2 ) x cos2x dx〗 ( solving it, getting + c) could need some help

• Thread starter Gillyjay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dx
In summary, to solve the integral ∫〖Sin^(2 ) x * cos2x dx〗, we can use the substitution Sin^(2 ) x= (1-cos2x)/2 and then apply the constant multiple rule. This will give us the final answer of sin 2x / 4 - x/4 - sin4x / 16.
Gillyjay

Homework Statement

∫〖Sin^(2 ) x * cos2x dx〗

Homework Equations

The right answer should be: sin 2x / 4 - x/4 - sin4x / 16

The Attempt at a Solution

If i would set Sin^(2 ) x= (1-cos2x)/2 I can replace it in the integral
Then we get:
∫▒〖(1-cos2x)/2 cos2x dx〗
As far as I am concerned we cannot use the constant multiple rule because there is no constant to multiply

I don’t know how to go on from here to solve it 

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, so you have

[tex]\begin{align*}
\int \sin^2 x\cos 2x\,dx &= \int\left(\frac{1-\cos 2x}{2}\right)\cos 2x\,dx \\
&= \frac{1}{2}\int(\cos 2x - \cos^2 2x)\,dx \\
&= \frac{1}{2}\int\cos 2x\,dx - \frac{1}{2}\int \cos^2 2x\,dx
\end{align*}[/tex]

Can you take it from there?

Hint: use a trig identity for cos2 2x.

Related to ∫〖Sin^(2 ) x cos2x dx〗 ( solving it, getting + c) could need some help

1. How do I solve the integral of sin^2(x)cos(2x)?

To solve this integral, you can use the trigonometric identity sin^2(x) = (1-cos(2x))/2. Substituting this into the original integral, we get ∫(1-cos(2x))/2 * cos(2x) dx. Expanding this out and using basic integration rules, we get ∫(cos(2x)-cos^2(2x))/2 dx. From here, you can use the power rule and integration by parts to solve the integral and get your final answer.

2. What is the purpose of adding +c when solving an integral?

The +c, or constant of integration, is added to an indefinite integral to account for all possible antiderivatives. Since the derivative of a constant is always 0, adding +c allows for an infinite number of possible solutions to the integral. In the context of this integral, adding +c represents all possible values of the integral, since the integral can have multiple solutions due to the trigonometric identities involved.

3. How do I know when to use trigonometric identities when solving integrals?

Trigonometric identities are most commonly used when the integrand (the function being integrated) contains trigonometric functions. For example, in the integral of sin^2(x)cos(2x), we use the identity sin^2(x) = (1-cos(2x))/2 to simplify the integral. It is important to be familiar with common trigonometric identities and know when to apply them in order to solve integrals effectively.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve this integral?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this integral. However, it is important to note that most calculators will give you a numerical solution, not an exact solution like the one you would get by solving the integral by hand. Also, make sure your calculator is set to the correct mode (degrees or radians) when working with trigonometric functions.

5. Are there any tips for solving integrals involving trigonometric functions?

One helpful tip is to always check for possible trigonometric identities that can be used to simplify the integral. Additionally, it can be useful to rewrite the integrand in terms of sine and cosine, as this can make it easier to apply the identities. Lastly, practice and familiarity with common trigonometric identities will make solving these types of integrals easier over time.