Integrating cos^2x with the Chain Rule: Explanation and Example

In summary, the original question was about integrating cos2x, and the person attempted to use the chain rule to reverse the process. However, integration is the opposite of differentiation and the chain rule cannot be used in this way. Instead, the integral can be solved using substitution and integration by parts.
johann1301

Homework Statement

∫cos2x dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer, and i know how to get there using:

cos2x+sin2x=1
cos2x-sin2x=cos2x
cos2x=(1+cos2x)/2

But why can't i use the chain rule? Can i?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am puzzled by your question. The chain rule is a method for differentiation. Why would you expect to be able to use it to integrate?

Integration is the opposite of differentiation. Perhaps you are asking "why can't I reverse the chain rule to integrate this?".

The chain rule says that if x is a function of some variable, t, and y is a function of x, then [tex]dy/dt= (dy/dx)(dx/dt)[/tex]. To use it we have to multiply by dx/dt. To do that in reverse, which is "substitution", the "dx/dt" term has to already be in the integral, you can't just insert it.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
Why would you expect to be able to use it to integrate?

u=cosx

therefore...

∫(cos2x)dx = ∫(u2)dx = (1/3)u3/u' + C = (1/3)cosx3/(cosx)' + C = (1/3)cosx3/(-sinx) + C

chain rule reversed?

Your second equality, [itex]\int u^2 dx= (1/3)u^3/u'+ C[/itex] is incorrect for precisely the reasons I explained in my first response.

Likes 1 person
johann1301 said:
u=cosx

therefore...

∫(cos2x)dx = ∫(u2)dx = (1/3)u3/u' + C = (1/3)cosx3/(cosx)' + C = (1/3)cosx3/(-sinx) + C

chain rule reversed?

You must also consider the variable of integration. Since you've made a substitution [itex] u [/itex], you want to integrate with respect to [itex] u [/itex], and as HallsofIvy said, this is moot because of the chain rule.

Ever heard of integration by parts? You should rather think of this as a product, [itex]\int\cos{(x)}\cos{(x)}dx[/itex]. Try integrating this

[itex] (fg)' = f'g+ g'f [/itex]

Last edited:

Related to Integrating cos^2x with the Chain Rule: Explanation and Example

1. What is the integral of (cos x)^2?

The integral of (cos x)^2 is equal to (1/2)x + (1/4)sin(2x) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. How do you solve for the integral of (cos x)^2?

To solve for the integral of (cos x)^2, you can use the trigonometric identity cos^2(x) = (1/2)(1 + cos(2x)). This will allow you to rewrite the integral as a sum or difference of simpler integrals that can be easily solved using integration techniques.

3. Can the integral of (cos x)^2 be simplified further?

Yes, the integral of (cos x)^2 can be further simplified by using the double angle formula for sine, which is sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x). This will result in the final answer of (1/2)x + (1/4)sin(x)cos(x) + C.

4. What is the domain of the integral of (cos x)^2?

The domain of the integral of (cos x)^2 is all real numbers, as there are no restrictions on the values of x for which the integral can be evaluated.

5. Can the integral of (cos x)^2 be used to find the area under the curve?

Yes, the integral of (cos x)^2 can be used to find the area under the curve of the function y = (cos x)^2. This is because the integral represents the accumulation of infinitesimally small rectangles under the curve, which can be used to approximate the total area.