Simulation of mechanical systems - FLOPS required?

In summary, the conversation was about determining the number of FLOPS required during a simulation of the game "Bridge Builder" and how they scale with the size of the bridge. The speaker was unsure of the exact amount of processing power needed but mentioned a webpage with information on compute time versus mesh increment and CPU processor. They also shared an interesting anecdote about a simple physics engine used in a game from the 8-bit eighties.
Borek
Mentor
I suppose some of you know the game called "Bridge Builder" (or Pontifex, or clones).

I need some help determining how many FLOPS are required during the simulation and how do they scale with the bridge size (number of elements). Some of these bridges contain hundreds of elements and tens of nodes, this is a video with many examples:

I guess model behind is just some simplified application of FEM to solve the equations describing stresses on each element, but while I do have some very vague idea about these things I don't know enough to even guesstimate required processing power. Let's say we need to run the simulation at 30 frames per second. Any help would be great.

(This is - hopefully - my final post in the quest for FLOPS, games and physics engines. Sadly, so far I have almost nothing. Just an interesting anecdote - I have learned that Spindizzy, game some of you can remember from the 8-bit eighties, had a very simple physics engine based on 8.8 fixed point math.)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Likes Borek

Related to Simulation of mechanical systems - FLOPS required?

1. How do you determine the number of FLOPS required for a mechanical system simulation?

The number of FLOPS (floating-point operations per second) required for a mechanical system simulation can be determined by considering the complexity of the system and the desired level of accuracy. Typically, simulations with more components and finer time steps will require more FLOPS.

2. What is the significance of FLOPS in mechanical system simulations?

FLOPS is a measure of the computational power needed to perform a simulation. In mechanical system simulations, FLOPS are used to estimate the time taken to solve a problem and the level of detail that can be achieved in the simulation.

3. Is there a standard ratio of FLOPS to components in mechanical system simulations?

There is no standard ratio of FLOPS to components in mechanical system simulations as it varies greatly depending on the complexity of the system and the desired level of accuracy. A higher number of components or finer time steps will generally require more FLOPS.

4. Can FLOPS be used to compare different simulation software for mechanical systems?

Yes, FLOPS can be used to compare the computational efficiency of different simulation software for mechanical systems. However, it is important to note that FLOPS alone may not provide a complete picture of the software's performance as other factors such as algorithm efficiency and hardware specifications also play a role.

5. How can I optimize the FLOPS required for a mechanical system simulation?

To optimize the FLOPS required for a mechanical system simulation, one can use techniques such as reducing the number of components, increasing the time step, or using more efficient algorithms. It is also helpful to use specialized hardware such as GPUs or parallel processing to improve the simulation speed.