Mechanical Simulation Programs?

In summary, the speakers are discussing the best program for mechanical simulation and their personal preferences. They mention ProEngineer/Mechanica and Solidworks + Cosmos as options, but warn that setting up the models can be time-consuming and there is no easy solution for complex simulations. They also mention the Insight Link as a potential option.
error404
Mechanical Simulation Programs??

Hello

i would like to know what is the best program for mechanical simulation, and the easiest one to learn and get used to (price doesn't really matter for now)
the systems i want to test contain gears, springs, cranes and some pulleys
all are simple mechanics as u can see, i need a good program to make calculations of force to be gievn into and out from the system, friction and some other forces.

Note: i am not a mechanical engineer, that's why i want a simple porgam yet, very efficient!

thanks
-Error404

Engineering news on Phys.org

error404 said:
Hello

i would like to know what is the best program for mechanical simulation, and the easiest one to learn and get used to (price doesn't really matter for now)
the systems i want to test contain gears, springs, cranes and some pulleys
all are simple mechanics as u can see, i need a good program to make calculations of force to be gievn into and out from the system, friction and some other forces.

Note: i am not a mechanical engineer, that's why i want a simple porgam yet, very efficient!

thanks
-Error404

Well I am really partial to ProEngineer/Mechanica, I have always really liked the way the whole suite works

Pro E + Mechanica, or Solidworks + Cosmos are ok, but you'll have to put in your time setting up the model.

those "Simple" mechanics can be a lot of work to setup in a simulation.

not trying to be a jerk, just beware that you will get out what you put in.

If there was a simple way to do this, it'd be pretty awesome. The insight link looks decent.

Related to Mechanical Simulation Programs?

1. What is a mechanical simulation program?

A mechanical simulation program is a computer software that allows engineers and scientists to model and analyze the behavior of mechanical systems. It uses mathematical algorithms and models to simulate real-world scenarios and predict the performance of a mechanical system.

2. How does a mechanical simulation program work?

A mechanical simulation program works by taking input data such as geometry, material properties, and boundary conditions, and using mathematical models and algorithms to simulate the behavior of a mechanical system. This allows engineers to analyze the system's performance and make informed design decisions.

3. What are the benefits of using a mechanical simulation program?

Using a mechanical simulation program has several benefits, including saving time and costs by reducing the need for physical prototyping, allowing for virtual testing of different design options, and providing a better understanding of the behavior of complex mechanical systems.

4. What types of mechanical systems can be simulated with these programs?

Mechanical simulation programs can be used to simulate a wide range of systems, including structures, machines, vehicles, and mechanisms. They can also be applied to various industries, such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing.

5. Are there any limitations to mechanical simulation programs?

While mechanical simulation programs are powerful tools, they also have some limitations. These programs require accurate input data, and their results are only as good as the data provided. Additionally, they may not be able to accurately simulate certain complex phenomena, such as material failure or extreme environmental conditions.