Simplify Exponents and Confirm with Wolfram Alpha: (54-3y)3 * (5y-2)2 Solution

In summary, the conversation is about applying exponent rules to simplify a problem involving parentheses. The person asking for help made a mistake in their first step and was advised to review the rules to correct their mistake. They were also encouraged to learn from their mistakes.
DaleSwanson
So I just got back from my math class, we were going over exponents. Right before we left he gave us a problem and we turned it in, I was just wondering if I got it right.

Simplify:
(54-3y)3 * (5y-2)2

I got:
512-9y3 * 5y2-4

5-9y3+y2+8

I applied the powers to the parenthesis, then added the two exponents. The addition of the exponents is here:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%2812-9y^3%29+%2B+%28y^2+-+4%29

However when I just pop the original problem into wolfram alpha I get:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%28%285^%284-3y%29%29^3%29+*+%28%285^%28y-2%29%29^2%29
58-7y

So I guess I have two questions. First is my answer right? Second how did Wolfram come up with that answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are applying the exponentiation rules incorrectly in your first step - perhaps you want to review it. When you bring down the 3, you multiply it to the (4-3y) to get (12-9y) instead of taking powers. Do the same for the other term. Then you can reduce the exponents.

See rules 3 here: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ExponentLaws.html

Thanks. Stupid mistake, always the stupid mistakes.

That's fine - when you make mistakes you go back and look at the definitions, problems, and learn a lot that way. Cheers

Related to Simplify Exponents and Confirm with Wolfram Alpha: (54-3y)3 * (5y-2)2 Solution

1. What is the rule for simplifying exponents?

The rule for simplifying exponents is to multiply the exponents when the bases are the same, and raise the base to the power of the sum of the exponents when the bases are different.

2. How do I simplify the expression (54-3y)3 * (5y-2)2?

To simplify this expression, you can first expand the parentheses and then combine like terms. This will result in a polynomial expression. Then, apply the exponent rule by multiplying the exponents of the common factors. Finally, use the FOIL method to simplify the expression further.

3. Can I use Wolfram Alpha to confirm my simplification of exponents?

Yes, Wolfram Alpha is a great tool for confirming the simplification of exponents. You can simply input the expression and Wolfram Alpha will show you the simplified form.

4. What is the final simplified form of (54-3y)3 * (5y-2)2?

The final simplified form of (54-3y)3 * (5y-2)2 is 125y5 - 450y4 + 486y3 - 270y2 + 72y.

5. Can I use the simplified form of this expression in further calculations?

Yes, the simplified form of this expression can be used in further calculations. It is always recommended to simplify expressions before using them in any calculations to avoid errors or confusion.