More Implicit Differentiation Help

In summary, the conversation is about finding an equation for the tangent line to x^3 + y^3 - 6xy = 0 at the point ((4/3), (8/3)). The solution involves taking the derivative of each term and simplifying it to get a final equation of [x^2 + 2y] / [2x - y^2]. The original poster asks for confirmation on their solution and is corrected by another user.
communitycoll

Homework Statement

Find an equation of the tangent line to x^3 + y^3 - 6xy = 0 at the point ((4/3), (8/3))

Homework Equations

I got y = -(8/5)x + (24/5). Is this correct?

The Attempt at a Solution

Lots of algebra involved. Sorry. but I'd rather not type it. I take the derivative of each term and eventually get:

[-3x^2 - 6y] / [3y^2 - 6x].

This simplifies to:

[x^2 + 2y] / [2x - y^2].

I substitute the stuff in appropriately, I get m = -(8 / 5).

Then I do:

y - (8/3) = -(8 / 5)(x - (4/3)).

I ask because Wolfram Alpha disagrees with me:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...3+++y^3+-+6xy+=+0+at+the+point+((4/3),+(8/3))

Physics news on Phys.org
communitycoll said:
Lots of algebra involved. Sorry. but I'd rather not type it. I take the derivative of each term and eventually get:

[-3x^2 - 6y] / [3y^2 - 6x].

You're off by a sign, it should be

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{6y-3x^2}{3y^2-6x}[/tex]

I see. I didn't distribute a "- 6" to a "+ y" properly. Thanks.

Related to More Implicit Differentiation Help

What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivatives of functions that are not explicitly defined in terms of a single variable. Instead, these functions are defined implicitly by an equation that relates multiple variables.

Why do we use implicit differentiation?

We use implicit differentiation when we cannot solve for one variable in terms of the other in an equation. This allows us to find the derivative of a function without having to solve for a specific variable first.

What are the steps involved in implicit differentiation?

The steps for implicit differentiation include differentiating both sides of the equation with respect to the variable of interest, using the chain rule if necessary, and solving for the derivative by isolating it on one side of the equation.

How is implicit differentiation different from explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function that is explicitly defined in terms of a single variable. Implicit differentiation, on the other hand, involves finding the derivative of a function that is defined implicitly by an equation.

What are some common applications of implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model relationships between variables that cannot be explicitly defined. It is also useful in finding the slope of a curve at a specific point and in solving optimization problems.