Subtracting 2 Fractions with Variables to Exponents: Explained

SBzdW1tYXJ5LCBmcm9tIHRoZSBmaXJzdCBzdGVwIG9mIHRoaXMgcHJvYmxlbS4gSSB1bmRlcnN0YW5kIGV2ZXJ5dGhpbmcgdGhlcmUgZGlkbid0IGdvdCBmcm9tIHRoZSBsYXN0IHN0ZXAsIHRvIHRoZSBhY3R1YWwgYW5zd2VyLiBDb3VsZCBzb21lIGV4Y2VwdCBvbiB0aGUgY29
Tubefox
-2((1/((x^2 + 1)^2 )) - ((4x^2 )/(x^2 +1)^3 )) = 6x^2-2/(x^2+1)

This is actually the last step of this problem. I understand everything they did up until here, but I'm a bit confused as to how they got from their last step, to the actual answer. Could someone explain?

Physics news on Phys.org

Are you missing a '-' in front of the coefficient of the [itex] x^2 [/itex] term and should that be [itex] (x^2+1)^3 ? [/itex]

Tubefox said:
-2((1/((x^2 + 1)^2 )) - ((4x^2 )/(x^2 +1)^3 )) = 6x^2-2/(x^2+1)

This is actually the last step of this problem. I understand everything they did up until here, but I'm a bit confused as to how they got from their last step, to the actual answer. Could someone explain?

Don't you mean (6x^2 - 2)/(x^2 + 1)? You wrote 6x^2 - 2/(x^2+1), which is a completely different thing.

RGV

Related to Subtracting 2 Fractions with Variables to Exponents: Explained

1. What are fractions with variables to exponents?

Fractions with variables to exponents are mathematical expressions that involve fractions, variables, and exponents. They are a type of algebraic expression that can be simplified and solved using the rules of fractions and exponents.

2. How do you subtract two fractions with variables to exponents?

To subtract two fractions with variables to exponents, first find a common denominator for the fractions. Then, multiply the numerators and denominators of each fraction by the appropriate factors to make the denominators equal. Finally, subtract the numerators and keep the common denominator.

3. Can fractions with variables to exponents be simplified?

Yes, fractions with variables to exponents can be simplified using the rules of fractions and exponents. Simplifying these expressions can help make them easier to work with and solve.

4. What are the rules for subtracting fractions with variables to exponents?

The rules for subtracting fractions with variables to exponents are:

• Find a common denominator for the fractions.
  • Multiply the numerators and denominators of each fraction by the appropriate factors to make the denominators equal.
  • Subtract the numerators and keep the common denominator.

5. Can I solve equations with fractions and variables to exponents?

Yes, equations with fractions and variables to exponents can be solved by using the same rules for simplifying and subtracting fractions. It may require multiple steps and using algebraic techniques such as combining like terms and isolating the variable.