Simple Trigonometric Substitution Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the integral \int{\frac{x^{3}}{\sqrt{4 - x^{2}}}}, using the trig identity sin^{2}0 = 1 - cos^{2}0 and a trig substitution. The solution is correct, but there were minor errors in the factors of two when cleaning up the integrand and substituting for cosine. The correct answer is 4 \times -\frac{\sqrt{4 - x^{2}}}{2} + 4 \times \frac{\sqrt{4 - x^{2}}^{3}}{3 \times 2} + C.
Sideline

Homework Statement

[tex]\int{\frac{x^{3}}{\sqrt{4 - x^{2}}}}[/tex]

NOTE: The use of "0" is theta. I couldn't figure out how to insert one :\

Homework Equations

The trig identity sin[tex]^{2}[/tex]0 = 1 - cos[tex]^{2}[/tex]0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I completed the problem fine, but I realized WolframAlpha has a different (albeit slightly different) answer than mine. Can't figure out where I went wrong:

Because the square root is of the form a[tex]^{2}[/tex] - u[tex]^{2}[/tex], the square root goes at the base, x is the height, and a is the hypotenuse:

u = x = 2sin0
dx = 2cos0d0
[tex]\sqrt{4 - x^{2}}[/tex] = 2cos0

Therefore, the new integral is:
[tex]\int{\frac{(2sin0)^{3}2cos0d0}{2cos0}[/tex]

Clean it up, and we have:
[tex]4 \times \int{sin^{3}0d0}[/tex]

I split it up into sin squared, and sin, and then used the trig identity listed above to convert it into this:
[tex]4 \times \int{(1 - cos^{2}0)}sin0d0}[/tex]

Multiply it out and separate the integrals:
[tex]4 \times \int{sin0d0} + 4 \times \int{(-sin0)(cos^{2}0)d0}[/tex]

Both integrals are now simple to integrate; the first is -cos0, the second has u = cos, du = -sin:
[tex]4 \times-cos0 + 4 \times \frac{cos^{3}0}{3}[/tex]

Replace cos0 with its corresponding values:
[tex]4 \times -\frac{\sqrt{4 - x^{2}}}{2} + 4 \times \frac{\sqrt{4 - x^{2}}^{3}}{3 \times 2} + C[/tex]

Look about right? This (well, with reduced fractions, obviously) is what I have. No clue where I might have gone wrong :\

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks basically right, but you messed up the factors of two in two places. First, when you cleaned up the integrand after the trig substitution, and second, when you substituted for cosine in the cos^3 term.

By the way, in LaTeX, \theta will get you the character you want.

Related to Simple Trigonometric Substitution Problem

What is a simple trigonometric substitution problem?

A simple trigonometric substitution problem is an algebraic expression that involves trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These problems often require the use of trigonometric identities and substitution techniques to solve.

How do I know when to use trigonometric substitution?

You should use trigonometric substitution when you encounter a algebraic expression that contains a radical with a variable inside. This is often seen in integrals or when solving equations.

What are the steps to solve a simple trigonometric substitution problem?

The steps to solve a simple trigonometric substitution problem are:

• Identify the substitution to use (usually based on the variable inside the radical)
  • Make the substitution by replacing the variable with the appropriate trigonometric function
  • Use trigonometric identities to simplify the expression
  • Integrate or solve the simplified expression
  • Substitute back the original variable to get the final answer

Are there any common pitfalls when solving trigonometric substitution problems?

Yes, some common pitfalls when solving trigonometric substitution problems include forgetting to make the substitution, incorrectly applying trigonometric identities, and making mistakes when integrating or solving the simplified expression.

Can I use trigonometric substitution to solve any algebraic expression?

No, trigonometric substitution is only applicable when the algebraic expression contains a radical with a variable inside. It cannot be used to solve all algebraic expressions.