Simple Harmonic Motion/Fundamental Frequency

In summary, the equation 4l=λ calculates the wavelength for a length given in meters. The equation is incorrect because it uses the wrong units. Homework Statement A tuba is a instrument that can be modeled after a closed tube and has a length of 4.9m. A frequency of 122.5hz produces resonance in the Tuba. Is this the fundamental frequency of the instrument? If not, what harmonic is it?
Iman06

Homework Statement

A tuba is a instrument that can be modeled after a closed tube and has a length of 4.9m. A frequency of 122.5hz produces resonance in the Tuba. Is this the fundamental frequency of the instrument? If not, what harmonic is it?

Homework Equations

f=λv
4l=λ(open closed tube)
v= 343m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

So for this problem, I used the equation 4l=λ to find the necessary wavelength for the length which I got as .089m. I then compared it to the actual(?) wavelength of the instrument based on the frequency and velocity, which I got as .3571m. The question is, what am I actually doing? I have no idea. Can someone at least clear up what exactly to do first?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi iman06 and welcome to PF.

Iman06 said:
4l=λ(open closed tube)
This equation doesn't say much. There is a more complete equation that gives the fundamental and higher harmonics for a tube closed at one end. Figure out (or look up) what it is, then calculate a few frequencies for the length that is given to you and see if there is a match to the given 122.5 Hz.

Last edited:
Likes scottdave
Like, how do the harmonic frequencies relate to the fundamental frequency?

How did you arrive at 0.089 meter for lambda?

Iman06 said:

Homework Equations

f=λv
This equation is wrong. By that I mean if 'f' is frequency, 'λ' is wavelength, and 'v' is the speed of sound, then the above equation is wrong.

4l=λ(open closed tube)
v= 343m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

So for this problem, I used the equation 4l=λ to find the necessary wavelength for the length which I got as .089m.
Okay, using "4l=λ" is a way to find the tube's fundamental wavelength, but you didn't do that quite right. I have no idea where the 0.089 m comes from.

collinsmark said:
This equation is wrong. By that I mean if 'f' is frequency, 'λ' is wavelength, and 'v' is the speed of sound, then the above equation is wrong.
I missed that one. Must've been tired. Just look at the units or dimensions to figure what the equation should be.

Ill take this opportunity to mention my Insights article.https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/make-units-work/

scottdave said:
I missed that one. Must've been tired. Just look at the units or dimensions to figure what the equation should be.
I missed it also. I looked at the right side first (as I always do when I read an equation) and thought that I was looking at λν (lambda nu). At that point the "f" on the left side didn't register in my mind. The LaTeX nu (##\nu##) looks closer to nu than the nu provided in the PF symbols' menu which looks exactly like vee. I guess this confusion between vee and nu is the reason why "f" is preferred to denote frequency.

Related to Simple Harmonic Motion/Fundamental Frequency

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position. It is represented by a sinusoidal curve and is observed in various natural and man-made systems, such as a swinging pendulum or a spring-mass system.

2. What is the significance of Fundamental Frequency in SHM?

The fundamental frequency is the lowest frequency at which a system can oscillate in SHM. It is also known as the first harmonic and determines the natural frequency of the system. All other frequencies are integer multiples of the fundamental frequency, and together they make up the harmonic series.

3. How is the period of SHM related to the fundamental frequency?

The period of SHM is the time taken for one complete oscillation. It is directly related to the fundamental frequency, with the period being equal to the inverse of the fundamental frequency. This means that as the fundamental frequency increases, the period decreases and vice versa.

4. How does amplitude affect the fundamental frequency?

Amplitude is the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position in SHM. It does not affect the fundamental frequency, but it does affect the energy and velocity of the system. Higher amplitudes result in higher energy and velocity, while lower amplitudes result in lower energy and velocity.

5. What is the difference between Simple Harmonic Motion and Uniform Circular Motion?

In Simple Harmonic Motion, the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement, while in Uniform Circular Motion, the acceleration is directly proportional to the displacement. Additionally, SHM occurs along a single axis, while UCM occurs in a circular path. However, both types of motion can be described using sinusoidal functions and have a period and frequency.