Frequency of sound in an open-open tube

In summary, the answer key says that the new tube would be 5L, but the formula given in the question does not appear to fit that.
NP04
Homework Statement
A hollow tube of length L open at both ends as shown, is held in midair. A tuning fork with a frequency f initial vibrates at one end of the tube and causes the air in the tube to vibrate at its fundamental frequency. Express your answers in terms of L and fo.

C. Determine the next higher frequency at which this air column would resonate.

D. Determine the height h of the tube above the water when the air column resonates for the first time. Express your answer in terms of L.
Relevant Equations
Harmonic numbers for open-open and open-closed tubes

v = lambda x f initial
Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 5.34.09 PM.png

I do not understand parts c and d.

For part C I have no idea where to start. And for part d, I got 1/4λ = L (open-close tube fundamental harmonics) so λ = 4L. But the answer key says it is 1/2 L. Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
NP04 said:
For part C I have no idea where to start.
What is the formula for the nth harmonic of the tube? Which harmonic are you given, and which are you asked for?
NP04 said:
for part d, I got 1/4λ = L
In that standard formula, what is L? Is it the same as the L in the question?

haruspex said:
What is the formula for the nth harmonic of the tube?

Well...I am not sure what formula you are referencing, but would it be just adding 1/2λ to the fundamental 1/2λ(which is given)?
Then L = λ, so v = λf, which does not make sense. The harmonic asked for is the 2nd one. But since the speed in the tube is already 2Lf I am confused.

haruspex said:
In that standard formula, what is L? Is it the same as the L in the question?

In part D, the length of the new tube would be L + h = L + 4L = 5L, I don't understand what this is used for.

NP04 said:
I am not sure what formula you are referencing
In an open-open tube, the fundamental has half a wavelength in it, so 2λ1=L.
How many wavelengths, λ2, are in the tube at the second harmonic.
NP04 said:
the length of the new tube would be L + h
No, the tube is partly submerged. The question is ambiguous, but it must mean the height of the top of the tube above the water. Its effective length is less than L.

The symbol ##L## is already taken. It's the length of the whole glass tube, which hasn't changed. You are being told not to change the meaning of ##L##.

When the tube is partially submerged, the resonating chamber is something less than L. You were told to call it ##h##.

So what is the relationship between ##\lambda## and ##h##?

Related to Frequency of sound in an open-open tube

1. What is the definition of frequency of sound in an open-open tube?

The frequency of sound in an open-open tube refers to the number of complete oscillations or vibrations that occur in the air column within the tube in one second. It is measured in Hertz (Hz) and is dependent on the length and diameter of the tube.

2. How is the frequency of sound affected in an open-open tube?

The frequency of sound in an open-open tube is affected by the length and diameter of the tube. As the length of the tube increases, the frequency decreases, and as the diameter of the tube increases, the frequency increases.

3. What is the formula for calculating the frequency of sound in an open-open tube?

The formula for calculating the frequency of sound in an open-open tube is: f = (n/2L) * v, where f is frequency, n is the number of nodes in the air column, L is the length of the tube, and v is the speed of sound.

4. How does the speed of sound affect the frequency of sound in an open-open tube?

The speed of sound plays a crucial role in determining the frequency of sound in an open-open tube. As the speed of sound increases, the frequency also increases, and as the speed of sound decreases, the frequency decreases.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding the frequency of sound in an open-open tube?

Understanding the frequency of sound in an open-open tube has various real-life applications, such as in musical instruments like flutes and clarinets, where the length and diameter of the tube determine the pitch of the sound produced. It is also essential in studying the acoustics of buildings and designing ventilation systems for effective sound control.