How do I tell what harmonic an instrument is producing?

In summary, the problem involves finding the harmonic at which a tone is produced by an instrument, specifically an open tube. The goal is to calculate the speed of sound using the instrument's length and frequency. However, the harmonic number is not given, so the equation L=n*wavelength/2 may be used, assuming the base frequency. If the resulting speed of sound does not seem accurate, a higher resonance can be tried.
Danya314

Homework Statement

An instrument is producing a tone, such as a D4. If I know the frequency of the tone, the length of the instrument but nothing else, how can I find the harmonic at which the tone is produced? The instrument is an open tube.

Homework Equations

v=wavelength*frequency[/B]
L=n*wavelength/2

The Attempt at a Solution

The point of the overall problem is to calculate the speed of sound using the length and frequency, but I don't know what equation to use to find the velocity since the harmonic number is not given.

Physics news on Phys.org
L=n*wavelength/2 is OK for a tube open at both ends. Is that what you have at hand ?
If they don't tell you (and you do need it), assume it's the base frequency.
(And if v comes out weird, you can still try a higher resonance)

Likes Danya314

Related to How do I tell what harmonic an instrument is producing?

1. What is a harmonic?

A harmonic is a sound that is produced by an instrument using a specific frequency. It is a type of vibration that is a multiple of the fundamental frequency, which is the lowest and most prominent frequency produced by the instrument.

2. How do I determine the fundamental frequency of an instrument?

The fundamental frequency of an instrument can be determined by using a tuner or a frequency analyzer. These tools can measure the pitch of the sound produced by the instrument and display the corresponding frequency.

3. How can I tell if an instrument is producing harmonics?

One way to tell if an instrument is producing harmonics is by listening to the sound it produces. Harmonics have a higher pitch compared to the fundamental frequency, so if you hear a higher-pitched sound, it is likely a harmonic. You can also use a spectrum analyzer to visualize the frequency components of the sound and identify any harmonics present.

4. Can the harmonic content of an instrument change?

Yes, the harmonic content of an instrument can change depending on how the instrument is played. For example, playing with different techniques or using different playing dynamics can alter the harmonics produced by the instrument.

5. Is it possible for an instrument to produce only harmonics and not the fundamental frequency?

It is not possible for an instrument to produce only harmonics without also producing the fundamental frequency. The fundamental frequency is the basis of all harmonics produced, and without it, the sound would not have any structure or pitch. However, some instruments may produce weaker fundamental frequencies compared to others, making the harmonics more prominent.