Simple divergence theorem questions

In summary, the divergence theorem can be used to validate transformations of models from a proof regarding the integral values of transformed regions. The area integral of F(x,y,z) dot d(a) is equal to the double integral of F(x,y,z)dydz, but the cos@ value is not included in the dot product. This can result in a negative value for one of the integrals. The theorem applies to any closed volume with a differentiable vector field, regardless of net flux.
bmrick
So I understand the divergence theorem for the most part. This is the proof that I'm working with http://www.math.ncku.edu.tw/~rchen/Advanced Calculus/divergence theorem.pdf

For right now I'm just looking at the rectangular model. My understanding is that should we find a proof for this model we can validate all transformations of the models from a proof regarding the integral values of transformed regions. (there's also probably an easier method where we just don't assume the object to be square too, right?)

What bothers me is that the area integral of F(x,y,z) dot d(a) is equal to the double integral of F(x,y,z)dydz. What happened to the cos@ value that existed when we were dotting across the area?

the other thing that is bothering me is that when we get rid of this dot product, one the integrals becomes negative. What gives?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the proof the dot product gives you simply the first component of F, which is why you see ##F_1## instead of just ##F## in that integral after the dot product has been taken. Perhaps it would have been more clear if they had used ##F_x## instead of ##F_1##. Of course ##F_1 = F\cos(\theta)## where ##\theta## is the angle between ##\vec{F}## and ##\hat{x}##. Of course this is so since ##F_1## is simply the projection of ##\vec{F}## onto the x-axis.

For the other side (opposite face), the area element is pointing in the negative x-direction, so you get the negative of the first component of ##F## in that integral when you take the dot product.

Ahhhhh i see. Thank you very much. You are both a scholar and a gentleman

Haha, no problem. :)

Dies the divergence theorem only apply to surfaces that have a net flux?

No, the divergence theorem applies to any closed volume on which a (differentiable/smooth) vector field is defined, whether the flux is net in, net out, or 0. In fact, in physics, the divergence theorem is often used for when the net flux is 0, e.g. in Gauss's law to show that there is no net charge enclosed in a given volume.

Related to Simple divergence theorem questions

1. What is the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem, also known as Gauss's theorem, is a fundamental theorem in calculus that relates the flux (or flow) of a vector field through a closed surface to the volume integral of the divergence of that vector field over the enclosed volume.

2. How is the divergence theorem used in physics?

The divergence theorem is commonly used in physics to relate the flux of a vector field through a closed surface to the sources and sinks of that field within the enclosed volume. This allows for easier calculation of quantities such as electric and magnetic fields, fluid flow, and heat transfer.

3. What are the assumptions of the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem assumes that the vector field is continuously differentiable and that the surface and volume are smooth and well-behaved. It also assumes that the surface is oriented consistently with the vector field, meaning that the surface's outward normal vector points in the same direction as the vector field at each point on the surface.

4. How is the divergence theorem related to other theorems in calculus?

The divergence theorem is closely related to two other theorems in calculus: Green's theorem and Stokes' theorem. Green's theorem relates the line integral of a two-dimensional vector field to the double integral of its curl over the enclosed region. Stokes' theorem is a higher-dimensional generalization of Green's theorem, relating the surface integral of a three-dimensional vector field to the line integral of its curl around the boundary curve.

5. Can the divergence theorem be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the divergence theorem can be extended to higher dimensions through the use of differential forms and the generalized Stokes' theorem. This allows for the calculation of flux in n-dimensional spaces, making it a powerful tool in many areas of mathematics and physics.