Simple 2nd order nonlinear ODE

In summary, a 2nd order nonlinear ODE is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its first and second derivatives, making it more complex than a linear ODE. It differs from a 1st order ODE by involving the second derivative and is commonly used to model physical phenomena and complex systems. Various techniques, such as separation of variables and numerical methods, are used to solve 2nd order nonlinear ODEs, and they are important in mathematics for their applications and contributions to the development of advanced techniques and tools.
mistergrinch
I'm trying to solve the equation y'' = x^2 * y. This looks like it should be simple, but I don't have mathematica and the only reference I've found calls it a special case of the Emden-Fowler equation and refers to a solution in a book I don't own. Does anyone know the solution to this equation? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y%27%27%3Dx^2+y&x=0&y=0

:)

Related to Simple 2nd order nonlinear ODE

What is a 2nd order nonlinear ODE?

A 2nd order nonlinear ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its first and second derivatives. It is "nonlinear" because it contains terms that are not proportional to the unknown function or its derivatives, making it more complex than a linear ODE.

How is a 2nd order nonlinear ODE different from a 1st order ODE?

A 2nd order nonlinear ODE involves the second derivative of the unknown function, while a 1st order ODE only involves the first derivative. This makes 2nd order nonlinear ODEs more challenging to solve and often requires numerical methods rather than analytical solutions.

What are some real-world applications of 2nd order nonlinear ODEs?

2nd order nonlinear ODEs can be used to model various physical phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum, the growth of populations, and the behavior of electrical circuits. They are also commonly used in engineering and science fields to describe complex systems and processes.

What techniques are used to solve 2nd order nonlinear ODEs?

There are several techniques for solving 2nd order nonlinear ODEs, including separation of variables, substitution of variables, and numerical methods such as Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method. The specific technique used depends on the form of the ODE and the desired level of accuracy.

Why are 2nd order nonlinear ODEs important in mathematics?

2nd order nonlinear ODEs are important because they provide a powerful tool for modeling and analyzing complex systems and phenomena. They also have many real-world applications and can help us better understand the behavior of natural and engineered systems. Furthermore, the study of 2nd order nonlinear ODEs has led to the development of advanced mathematical techniques and tools that have applications in various fields.