Sign Convention For Momentum Operators

In summary: The action of the translation operator on a generalized position eigenvector is defined by\hat{T}_{\pm}(\xi) |x \rangle=|x-\xi \rangle. \qquad (*)For a general state |\psi \rangle this gives for the translation operation on the position-wave function\psi'(x)=\langle x|\hat{T}_{\pm}(\xi) \psi \rangle=\langle \hat{T}_{\pm}^{\dagger}(\xi) x|\psi \rangle=\langle x+\xi |\psi \r
Septim
Greetings,

How do we decide on which sign to take when using the momentum operator? The question may be very simple but I need a push in the right direction.

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the answer by the way can this convention have something to do with our depiction of the wave function as [itex]e^{i(kx-wt)}[/itex]? I think the statement on the second page of the lecture notes available on the following URL suggests this if I did not misinterpret it. If we selected the complex conjugate of the function then would the momentum operator be the complex conjugate of the previous momentum operator ?

For lecture notes
http://www.phys.spbu.ru/content/File/Library/studentlectures/schlippe/qm07-03.pdf

Last edited:
Septim said:
Thanks for the answer by the way can this convention have something to do with our depiction of the wave function as [itex]e^{i(kx-wt)}[/itex]? I think the statement on the second page of the lecture notes available on the following URL suggests this if I did not misinterpret it. If we selected the complex conjugate of the function then would the momentum operator be the complex conjugate of the previous momentum operator ?

For lecture notes
http://www.phys.spbu.ru/content/File/Library/studentlectures/schlippe/qm07-03.pdf
I don't like the sequence of ideas in those notes, which (imho) is rather back-to-front. The function you mentioned is better derived by considering eigenstates of the momentum operator. Try the early chapters of Ballentine's textbook for a better (again, imho) sequence of development of the ideas.

This issue also puzzles me whenever I prepare a lecture on the Galileo or Poincare group ;-)). It's just a convention, how you describe spatial translations in terms of its infinitesimal generators, i.e., using [itex]\hat{T}_{\pm}(\xi)=\exp(\pm \mathrm{i} \xi \hat{p})[/itex]. It's arbitrary whether to use the upper or the lower sign convention. The usual one is the + convention.

The action of the translation operator on a generalized position eigenvector is defined by

[tex]\hat{T}_{\pm}(\xi) |x \rangle=|x-\xi \rangle. \qquad (*)[/tex]

For a general state [itex]|\psi \rangle[/itex] this gives for the translation operation on the position-wave function

[tex]\psi'(x)=\langle x|\hat{T}_{\pm}(\xi) \psi \rangle=\langle \hat{T}_{\pm}^{\dagger}(\xi) x|\psi \rangle=\langle x+\xi |\psi \rangle=\psi(x+\xi).[/tex]

For a infinitesimal displacement you have on the one hand

[tex]\psi'(x)=\psi(x+\delta \xi)=\psi(x)+\delta \xi \partial_x \psi(x).[/tex]

On the other that's

[tex]\psi'(x)=(1 \pm \mathrm{i} \delta \xi \hat{p}) \psi(x).[/tex]

Comparing the two latter equations gives

[tex]\hat{p} \psi(x)=\mp \mathrm{i} \partial_x \psi(x).[/tex]

The commutation relations for position and momentum of course also differ by a sign,

[tex][\hat{x},\hat{p}]=\pm \mathrm{i}.[/tex]

As I said, the usual convention is the upper sign.

Of course you can also mix up the whole issue further by using the upper sign convention for the translation operator but a different sign in Eq. (*) on the right-hand side. This again depends on whether you consider the translation as an active or passive operation, i.e., whether you define the translation of the position coordinates with either sign, [itex]x \rightarrow x'=x \pm \xi[/itex].

As I said, that's all convention, and it's good to stick to one once and forever not to get confused.

Likes Bruce_Pipi121

Related to Sign Convention For Momentum Operators

1. What is the sign convention for momentum operators?

The sign convention for momentum operators is a set of rules used to determine the direction of the momentum operator in a given problem. It states that for a particle moving in the positive x-direction, the momentum operator should have a positive sign, while for a particle moving in the negative x-direction, the momentum operator should have a negative sign.

2. Why is the sign convention for momentum operators important?

The sign convention for momentum operators is important because it helps us properly define the direction of the momentum operator in a given problem. This is crucial in solving equations and understanding the physical behavior of particles in a system.

3. How does the sign convention for momentum operators differ from the sign convention for position operators?

The sign convention for momentum operators differs from the sign convention for position operators in that for position operators, the positive direction is usually defined as the direction of motion of the particle, while for momentum operators, the positive direction is usually defined as the direction in which the particle is moving.

4. Can the sign convention for momentum operators be changed?

Yes, the sign convention for momentum operators can be changed as long as it is consistent within a given problem or system. However, it is important to note that changing the sign convention may affect the final results and interpretation of the problem.

5. How does the sign convention for momentum operators affect the calculation of expectation values?

The sign convention for momentum operators does not affect the calculation of expectation values. The expectation value of the momentum operator is always calculated using its definition, regardless of the sign convention used. However, the sign convention may affect the interpretation of the result, as it determines the direction of the momentum.