Does there exist momentum-shift operator?

• I
  • Thread starter PRB147
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operator
In summary, there is a translation operator in position space and momentum space, with the momentum operator being the analog in position space and the position operator being the analog in momentum space. However, some quantum mechanics books may not mention this concept.
PRB147
As is well known there is translation operator in position space, such that.,
$$\exp(i\hat{p}a)x\exp(-i\hat{p}a)=x+a.$$
While in momentum space, can we have analog of the above mentioned translation operator? i.e., momentum shift operator?
$$\exp(-i\hat{x}q)p\exp(i\hat{x}q)=p+q.$$
If so, why many many quantum mechanics books never mention it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PRB147 said:
As is well known there is translation operator in position space
Yes, and this operator is the momentum operator.

PRB147 said:
While in momentum space, can we have analog of the above mentioned translation operator?
Yes, the translation operator in momentum space is the position operator.

PRB147 said:
If so, why many many quantum mechanics books never mention it?
I don't know what QM books you've read, but there are plenty that do mention the above.

Likes vanhees71, topsquark and PRB147
Btw, @PRB147, there is no need to use both double dollar signs and tex tags; just one will do. I have used magic mentor powers to fix your OP to remove the unnecessary tags.

Likes topsquark
PeterDonis said:
Yes, and this operator is the momentum operator.Yes, the translation operator in momentum space is the position operator.I don't know what QM books you've read, but there are plenty that do mention the above.
Thank you very much for your reply.

1. What is a momentum-shift operator?

A momentum-shift operator is a mathematical operator that shifts the momentum of a particle in a given direction. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the evolution of a particle's momentum over time.

2. How is a momentum-shift operator represented mathematically?

A momentum-shift operator is represented by the symbol P, with a subscript indicating the direction of the shift (e.g. Px for a shift in the x-direction). In terms of mathematical operations, it is represented by the derivative of momentum with respect to position.

3. What is the purpose of a momentum-shift operator?

The purpose of a momentum-shift operator is to describe the change in momentum of a particle over time. It is used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle having a certain momentum at a given time.

4. How does a momentum-shift operator relate to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

The momentum-shift operator is related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle in that it is used to calculate the uncertainty in a particle's momentum. The more precisely the momentum is known, the less precisely its position can be determined, and vice versa.

5. Does the momentum-shift operator exist in classical mechanics?

No, the momentum-shift operator only exists in quantum mechanics. In classical mechanics, momentum is considered a constant property of a particle and does not change over time. However, in quantum mechanics, momentum is described as a wavefunction that can change over time, and the momentum-shift operator is used to describe this change.