How to derive the Momentum and Energy Operators from first principles?

In summary: The Hamiltonian is derived from the Schrödinger equation, as you say later, but it is not the same thing as ##i \hbar \partial / \partial t##.In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the momentum and energy operators in quantum mechanics. Various methods are mentioned, such as the use of the Schrödinger equation, commutation relations, and Noether's law. The role of the imaginary unit in making the operators Hermitian is also mentioned.
Svend
TL;DR Summary
Wondering about the origins of the Momentum and Energy Operators, i want to know how they are derived, assuming we have no knowlegde of the Schrødinger Equation.
So we all know that the form of the momentum operator is: iħd/dx. And for energy it is iħd/dt. But how do we derive these operators?

The only derivations of the i have seen is where the schrødinger equation was used, but that makes the logic circular, because the Schrødinger-Equation is derived from the momentum operator applied to the classical hamiltonian?

So i am interested in knowing other ways to derive the momentum and energy operators, from first principles. Can anyone help?I have read about cannonical quantization, where you postulate that [p,x]=iħ, and this should appereantly give the form of p=ih*d/dx, if we insist that x is diagonal. Has anyone heard of this?
Any contribution is deeply appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
As you say the commutation relation
[tex]xp-px=i\hbar[/tex]
is often used to derive
[tex]p=-i \hbar \frac{d}{dx}[/tex]
with x just a number as it is in classical physics.
You can confirm it by direct calculation of
[tex](xp-px)f=i\hbar f[/tex]
for any function f(x). For f(p) you get instead
[tex]x=i \hbar \frac{d}{dp}[/tex]
with p just a number as it is in classical physics.

Last edited:
I assume it can be derived from something like Noether's law from the invariance of physical laws in space and time. But I don't know the exact derivation in QM. I think I saw an argument about space invariance and momentum operator in QM somewhere.
For energy it's roughly like: you need a continuous change of the wavefunction and it has to stay normalized. This already says d/dt psi=A*psi. Why not just call A the energy? The imaginary unit is just convenient to make A Hermitian and the eigenvalues real (otherwise A would be skew Hermitian and eigenvalues imaginary). So it's easy to show than it has to be the form of Schrödinger equation, but you still need to argue why the usual trick of taking classical energy and making it an operator works.
Maybe someone else spell out these ideas more precisely.

Svend said:
So we all know that the form of the momentum operator is: iħd/dx.
Yes.

Svend said:
And for energy it is iħd/dt.
No. The energy operator is the Hamiltonian. ##i \hbar \partial / \partial t## is not an operator in QM (it does not act on the Hilbert space).

Related to How to derive the Momentum and Energy Operators from first principles?

1. What is the concept of "first principles" in deriving the Momentum and Energy Operators?

"First principles" refers to the fundamental laws or principles from which all other laws and concepts can be derived. In the context of deriving the Momentum and Energy Operators, this means starting from the basic principles of classical mechanics and using mathematical methods to derive the operators that represent momentum and energy in quantum mechanics.

2. How do the Momentum and Energy Operators differ from classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, momentum and energy are described as continuous quantities, while in quantum mechanics they are represented by operators that act on wave functions. This means that momentum and energy can only take on discrete values in quantum mechanics, rather than being continuous as in classical mechanics.

3. What mathematical methods are used to derive the Momentum and Energy Operators?

The Momentum and Energy Operators are derived using the principles of linear algebra and differential calculus. This involves defining the operators as matrices and using the commutator relationship between position and momentum to determine their specific forms.

4. How are the Momentum and Energy Operators related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the momentum and position of a particle with absolute certainty. The Momentum and Energy Operators are related to this principle, as they are non-commuting operators, meaning that their order of operations affects the outcome. This results in the uncertainty of knowing both the momentum and position of a particle simultaneously.

5. Can the Momentum and Energy Operators be derived for any physical system?

Yes, the Momentum and Energy Operators can be derived for any physical system, as long as the basic principles of classical mechanics and quantum mechanics are applicable. However, the specific form of the operators may vary depending on the system and its properties.