Showing Order Fields Axioms Hold: a<b for 0<a,b in F

In summary, the Order Fields Axioms are a set of mathematical axioms that define the properties of an ordered field, which is a set of numbers that can be ordered in a meaningful way. These axioms are important because they allow us to make logical deductions about the relationships between numbers in an ordered field. A field is considered "ordered" if there exists a meaningful way to compare and order its elements. In order to prove that a<b for 0<a,b in F, we must show that the Order Fields Axioms hold for the field F. However, the Order Fields Axioms can only be applied to fields that are specifically defined as "ordered fields." These fields must have certain properties, such as being commut
hammonjj

Homework Statement

Using only axioms o1-o4 and the result in part (i), show that for any a,b[itex]\in[/itex]F, with 0<a and 0<b, that if a[itex]^{2}[/itex]<[itex]^{2}[/itex]b, then a<b.

Homework Equations

o1) For any a,b[itex]\in[/itex]F, precisely one of the three following holds: a<b, b<a, a=b
o2) If a,b,c[itex]\in[/itex]F, and if a<b and b<c, then a<c
o3) For any a,b,c[itex]\in[/itex]F, if a<b, then a+c<b+c
o4) For any a,b,c[itex]\in[/itex]F, if a<b and 0<c, then ac<bc

Part (i): For any a,b,c,d[itex]\in[/itex]F, with 0<b and 0<c, if a<b and c<d, then ac<bd

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried several dozen manipulations of this over the last several hours and it's just not coming together. I'm at the end of my rope with this one and I just want an answer. I'm well past the point where I would have a sense of accomplishment from figuring it out and I've still got more homework to finish by tomorrow morning, so any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

I understand your frustration and I am happy to help you with this problem. First, let's rewrite the given statement using the given axioms:

If a^{2}<^{2}b, then a<b

Now, let's start by assuming that a^{2}<^{2}b and try to prove that a<b. Using o1, we know that either a<b, b<a, or a=b. Let's consider each case separately.

Case 1: a<b
Since we are assuming that a^{2}<^{2}b, we can use o4 to get a^{2}c<^{2}bc. Then, using o2 and our assumption that a<b, we can conclude that a^{2}c<^{2}bc<^{2}b^{2}. Since c is positive, we can use o4 again to get ac<b^{2}c. And finally, using o2 and our assumption that a<b, we can conclude that ac<b^{2}c<b^{2}b=b^{3}. This shows that ac<b^{3}, which is equivalent to a<b.

Case 2: b<a
Using a similar approach to case 1, we can show that b<a is not possible.

Case 3: a=b
Since a^{2}<^{2}b, we can use o4 to get a^{2}c<^{2}bc. But since a=b, we know that a^{2}=b^{2}. So we can rewrite this as b^{2}c<b^{2}c. This is a contradiction, so our assumption that a=b must be false.

Therefore, we have shown that if a^{2}<^{2}b, then a<b. I hope this helps and good luck with the rest of your homework.

Related to Showing Order Fields Axioms Hold: a<b for 0<a,b in F

1. What are the "Order Fields Axioms" and why are they important in showing a

The Order Fields Axioms are a set of mathematical axioms that define the properties of an ordered field, which is a set of numbers that can be ordered in a meaningful way (i.e. a

2. What does it mean for a field to be "ordered"?

A field is considered "ordered" if there exists a meaningful way to compare and order its elements. This means that for any two elements a and b in the field, either a

3. How do we prove that a

In order to prove that a

4. Can the Order Fields Axioms be applied to any type of field?

No, the Order Fields Axioms can only be applied to fields that are specifically defined as "ordered fields." These fields must have certain properties, such as being commutative, associative, and distributive, in order for the axioms to hold.

5. How do the Order Fields Axioms relate to other mathematical axioms?

The Order Fields Axioms are a subset of the more general field axioms, which define the properties of a field in a more broad sense. The Order Fields Axioms specifically focus on the properties of an ordered field, while the field axioms apply to all types of fields, including ordered fields.