Proving Vector Bisector Theorem: Simplifying Dot Products

In summary, the problem is to prove that the vector C=(BA+AB)/(A+B) is an angle bisector of A and B. Using the given equations, it is shown that C is equal to the dot product of BA and AB. By simplifying the dot product, it is found that C is equal to zero, proving that C is indeed an angle bisector of A and B.
Jake 7174

Homework Statement

Show that vector C = (BA + AB) / (A + B) is an angle bisector of A and B. Where vectors are represented by bold font, and magnitudes are regular font.

Homework Equations

A ⋅ C = A C cos(θ) ⇒ cos(θ) = (A ⋅ C) / (A C)

B ⋅ C = B C cos(θ) ⇒ cos(θ) = (B ⋅ C) / (B C)

The Attempt at a Solution

We know that if C is a bisector of A and B, then ∠AC =∠BC = θ must be true.

I set the above equations equal to each other to get;

(A ⋅ C) / (A C) = (B ⋅ C) / (B C)

I notice the magnitude C cancels and then cross multiply the expression to get;

(A ⋅ C)B = (B ⋅ C)A

I bring the right side over and use identities of dot products to get;

C ⋅ [BA - AB] = 0

This is where I am stuck I don't know how to take it any further. I would appreciate a push in the right direction.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Jake, :welcome:

Fill in something for C to proceed !
(for example (BA + AB) / (A + B) :smile: )

Hi BvU,

Thanks for responding.

I don't understand though. How can I fill in something for C. C is some vector C(x,y,z) that bisects A and B. If I simply substitute the solution for C into C, then I will not have proved the expression in the problem statement. I have to prove the relationship is valid.

The problem is NOT to prove "the expression in the problem statement". That is given. The problem is to prove that the two angles are equal using that expression.

HallsofIvy said:
The problem is NOT to prove "the expression in the problem statement". That is given. The problem is to prove that the two angles are equal using that expression.

So, how do I do that given what has been done above? What was suggested was to sub in the expression for C. What then? Do i simplify and see if it goes to zero?

Please excuse any bad spelling. I am on a phone walking thru campus.

You work it out and see that it IS zero.

BvU said:
So why didnt you just say that in the first place? Oh wait you did. I hope the humor in that statement was not lost in text. Thank you very much for taking your time to help me. I truly apreciate it.

You're fine and I'm fine too. No worry !

BvU said:

I worked it out using my calculator. It is not zero. Did I do something wrong in my earlier steps? If I did I do not see it.

Last edited:
Please, can someone help. This is due on Monday. I have spent hours on this and am stuck.

Seriously need help. Due tomorow. I have been going round and round in circles and can't get it.

Jake 7174 said:
Seriously need help. Due tomorow. I have been going round and round in circles and can't get it.
Just do what @BvU has been saying all along:

compute C ⋅ [BA - AB] by using the given value of C:
C
= (BA + AB) / (A + B)

You don't need a calculator for that.

Last edited:
Jake 7174 said:
I worked it out using my calculator. It is not zero. Did I do something wrong in my earlier steps? If I did I do not see it.

When i make the substitution and carry out the dot product the result is as follows;

1/(A + B) [ B^2Ax^2 - A^2Bx^2 + B^2Ay^2 - A^2By^2 + B^2Az^2 - A^2Bz^2 ]

This is not zero. I used my calculator to verify my work and i got the same result.

Jake 7174 said:
When i make the substitution and carry out the dot product the result is as follows;

1/(A + B) [ B^2Ax^2 - A^2Bx^2 + B^2Ay^2 - A^2By^2 + B^2Az^2 - A^2Bz^2 ]

This is not zero. I used my calculator to verify my work and i got the same result.
I don't have a clue how you get that result.
Let's forget the denominator (A+B) for the moment.
Just focus on X = (BA + AB)⋅(BA - AB).
The dot product is distributive over addition, so X = B²A⋅A-BAA⋅B+ABB⋅A-A²B⋅B
Can you further simplify this, using the properties of the dot product (it is commutative, Y⋅Y=Y², ...)?

Last edited:
Samy_A said:
I don't have a clue how you get that result.
Let's forget the denominator (A+B) for the moment.
Just focus on X = (BA + AB)⋅(BA - AB).
The dot product is distributive over addition, so X = B²A⋅A-BAA⋅B+ABB⋅A-A²B⋅B
Can you further simplify this, using the properties of the dot product (it is commutative, Y⋅Y=Y², ...)?

Your the man samy. I see it. I did not know Y⋅Y=Y². Clearly i need more work on this. Thank you so much. You really helped me out here.

Related to Proving Vector Bisector Theorem: Simplifying Dot Products

What are angle bisectors of vectors?

Angle bisectors of vectors are imaginary lines that divide the angle between two vectors into two equal parts. They are perpendicular to the vectors and intersect at the origin.

How do you find the angle bisector of two vectors?

To find the angle bisector of two vectors, you can use the formula: AB = (A + B) / ||A + B||, where A and B are the two vectors and AB is the angle bisector. This formula can also be used to find the angle between the two vectors.

What is the significance of angle bisectors of vectors?

Angle bisectors of vectors are important in vector algebra as they help in determining the direction of a vector. They also play a crucial role in solving problems involving angles and vector quantities.

Can angle bisectors of vectors be negative?

No, angle bisectors of vectors cannot be negative. They are imaginary lines that have direction but not magnitude, therefore they cannot have a negative value.

Do angle bisectors of vectors always intersect at the origin?

Yes, angle bisectors of vectors always intersect at the origin. This is because they are perpendicular to the vectors and the origin is the point of intersection of all perpendicular lines on a plane.