Showing J-Measurability of Set K with Area = Integral

• Thread starter missavvy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Areas
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that a given set K is Jordan Measurable and its area is equal to the integral of f(x)dx from a to b, where f:[a,b] -> \Re is an integrable function and f\geq0. The first part of the conversation involves proving that f has zero content and that the boundary of K is given by f, a line on the x-axis on the left, b on the right, and the x-axis itself. The second part discusses the use of Fubini's theorem to calculate the area of K through a double integral.
missavvy

Homework Statement

Let f:[a,b] -> [tex]\Re[/tex] be an integrable function

Suppose f[tex]\geq[/tex]0 and let K = { (x,y) : x[tex]\in[/tex] [a,b] and 0[tex]\leq[/tex]y[tex]\leq[/tex]f(x)}

Show that K is Jordan Measurable and its area = Integral from a,b [ f(x)dx]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I first proved that f has zero content..
Then the set K has a boundary which is f, the a line on the x-axis on the left, and b on the right, is that correct? and of course the x-axis itself since y[tex]\geq[/tex]0.

Then if I take the Union of f, a, b (by these points i mean x=a,x=b) and the x-axis.. i can prove they have zero content so K is measurable.

Is that first part ok?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the second part I think we just have to use Fubini's theorem and calculate the area by double integral.. but how? how do i set it up?

Related to Showing J-Measurability of Set K with Area = Integral

1. What is J-Measurability and how does it relate to set K?

J-Measurability is a concept in measure theory that determines the size or extent of a set. It is used to measure the area of a set, where the area is defined as the integral of a function over the set. In this case, we are interested in showing that the set K has a J-measure, meaning that its area can be calculated using an integral.

2. How is the concept of J-Measurability useful in scientific research?

J-Measurability is a fundamental tool in mathematical analysis and is used in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows researchers to quantify the size and extent of sets, which can help in understanding and predicting different phenomena. For example, in physics, J-Measurability is used to calculate the volume and surface area of objects, while in economics, it is used to measure the value of different goods and services.

3. Can you provide an example of a set that is not J-Measurable?

Yes, a classic example of a non-J-Measurable set is the Cantor set. This set is constructed by repeatedly removing the middle third of a line segment, resulting in a set with a fractal structure that has no area. Therefore, it is not possible to calculate the area of the Cantor set using an integral, and it is not J-Measurable.

4. How do you prove the J-Measurability of a set?

To prove the J-Measurability of a set K, we need to show that its outer J-measure, denoted by J*(K), is equal to its inner J-measure, denoted by J*(K). This means that the area of the set, as calculated by the integral, is the same regardless of which function is used. This can be done by using mathematical techniques such as Lebesgue's Covering Lemma and Carathéodory's Extension Theorem.

5. Are there any limitations to using J-Measurability in scientific research?

Yes, there are some limitations to using J-Measurability in scientific research. One limitation is that it assumes the existence of a "nice" function over the set, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, J-Measurability is limited to sets in Euclidean space and may not be applicable in other mathematical spaces. Therefore, it is important to consider the assumptions and limitations of J-Measurability when using it in scientific research.