Showing a polynomial has at least one zero outside the unit circle.

In summary, the conversation discusses the leading coefficient of a polynomial and the use of the Schur-Cohn Algorithm to solve a problem related to complex variables. The conversation also mentions finding the zeros of a polynomial and using a different expression to find a specific value. The conversation ends with the problem being solved.
jdinatale
The first thing that we should notice is that the leading coefficient $a_n = 1$. I was thinking about considering the factored form of p.

I googled, and there is an algorithm called the "Schur-Cohn Algorithm" that is suppose to answer exactly this, but I can't find any information on it or how to use it. Besides, this question is asked in an introduction to complex variables class, so we shouldn't have to use that algorithm.

Also, I found this questioned answered elsewhere, but I can't understand their solutions

http://www.edaboard.com/thread154228.html

Joseph-4.png

Physics news on Phys.org
jdinatale said:
The first thing that we should notice is that the leading coefficient $a_n = 1$. I was thinking about considering the factored form of p.

I googled, and there is an algorithm called the "Schur-Cohn Algorithm" that is suppose to answer exactly this, but I can't find any information on it or how to use it. Besides, this question is asked in an introduction to complex variables class, so we shouldn't have to use that algorithm.

Also, I found this questioned answered elsewhere, but I can't understand their solutions

http://www.edaboard.com/thread154228.html

Joseph-4.png
The second solution in that link looks reasonable.

What is p(0) ?

Suppose we write the zeros of p(z) as z1, z2, z3, ..., zn.

Write p(z) in factored form, and from that, set z=0 to find a different expression for p(0).

SammyS said:
The second solution in that link looks reasonable.

What is p(0) ?

Suppose we write the zeros of p(z) as z1, z2, z3, ..., zn.

Write p(z) in factored form, and from that, set z=0 to find a different expression for p(0).

That makes total sense now! Thanks, I have the problem solved now!

Related to Showing a polynomial has at least one zero outside the unit circle.

What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is a mathematical expression that consists of variables, coefficients, and exponents. It can be written in the form of a0 + a1x + a2x^2 + ... + anx^n, where a0, a1, a2, ..., an are constants, and x is the variable.

What is the unit circle?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin (0,0) on a Cartesian coordinate system. It is commonly used in mathematics to represent angles and trigonometric functions.

How do you show that a polynomial has at least one zero outside the unit circle?

To show that a polynomial has at least one zero outside the unit circle, you can use the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra, which states that every polynomial equation of degree n has exactly n complex roots. If all the roots of a polynomial are inside the unit circle, then the equation would have no roots outside the unit circle, which contradicts the theorem.

Why is it important to show that a polynomial has at least one zero outside the unit circle?

Showing that a polynomial has at least one zero outside the unit circle is important in understanding the behavior of the polynomial's roots. It can also help in finding the zeros of the polynomial and determining its overall shape and characteristics.

What are the implications if a polynomial has all its zeros inside the unit circle?

If a polynomial has all its zeros inside the unit circle, it means that all of its roots are complex numbers with a magnitude less than one. This can indicate that the polynomial has a stable or convergent behavior and can help in analyzing its stability and convergence properties.