Finding a polynomial function given zeros

So your polynomial should have been x^3-3x^2-21x +125. In summary, the conversation discusses finding an nth degree polynomial function with real coefficients using the linear factorization theorem. The polynomial has a degree of 3 and has -5 and 4+3i as zeros. The function value of f(2) is 91. Through a series of steps and calculations, the final polynomial function is found to be f(x)=x^3-3x^2-15x+125.
Illuvitar
Hey guys I am having a little bit of trouble with using and understanding the linear factorization theorem to find the polynomial function.

Homework Statement

Find an nth degree polynomial function with real coefficents satisfying the given conditions.

n=3; -5 and 4+3i are zeros; f(2)=91

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Since the polynomial has a degree of 3 I know there must be 3 linear factors which are:
(x+5) because -5 is a real zero and (x-4+3i) but also its conjugate (x-4-3i) are the complex zeros.

2) Now I multiply the 3 linear factors
(x-4+3i)(x-4-3i)= x2-4x-3xi-4x+16+12i+3ix-12i-3i2
and when I combine like term I get:

x2-8x+19 which I multiply by the remaining linear factor (x+5):

x3-3x2-21x+95

To find the function I apply f(2)=91

f(2)=an(23-3(2)2-21(2)+95)=91 so

8-12-42+95=49an=91

I isolate the variable by dividing its coefficient and get:

an=91/49 simplified to 13/7

Now I substitute 13/7 for an and multiply by the product of the linear factors to get find the polynomial function:

f(x)=13/7(x3-3x2-21x+95) and end up with a messy looking product...anyway the real answer is:

f(x)=x3-3x2-15x+125

I have checked and double checked this problem several times to look for arithmetic mistakes but I just can't seem to match the right answer. I don't know if I just don't understand the concept (honestly I have a shaky understanding of zeros of polynomials in the first place, I am just learning about them today) or if I am just being sloppy with my arithmetic. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Illuvitar said:
Hey guys I am having a little bit of trouble with using and understanding the linear factorization theorem to find the polynomial function.

Homework Statement

Find an nth degree polynomial function with real coefficents satisfying the given conditions.

n=3; -5 and 4+3i are zeros; f(2)=91

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Since the polynomial has a degree of 3 I know there must be 3 linear factors which are:
(x+5) because -5 is a real zero and (x-4+3i) but also its conjugate (x-4-3i) are the complex zeros.

2) Now I multiply the 3 linear factors
(x-4+3i)(x-4-3i)= x2-4x-3xi-4x+16+12i+3ix-12i-3i2
and when I combine like term I get:

x2-8x+19 which I multiply by the remaining linear factor (x+5):

x3-3x2-21x+95

To find the function I apply f(2)=91

f(2)=an(23-3(2)2-21(2)+95)=91 so

8-12-42+95=49an=91

I isolate the variable by dividing its coefficient and get:

an=91/49 simplified to 13/7

Now I substitute 13/7 for an and multiply by the product of the linear factors to get find the polynomial function:

f(x)=13/7(x3-3x2-21x+95) and end up with a messy looking product...anyway the real answer is:

f(x)=x3-3x2-15x+125

I have checked and double checked this problem several times to look for arithmetic mistakes but I just can't seem to match the right answer. I don't know if I just don't understand the concept (honestly I have a shaky understanding of zeros of polynomials in the first place, I am just learning about them today) or if I am just being sloppy with my arithmetic. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

You should have ##(x-4+3i)(x-4-3i) = x^2 -8x + 4^2 +3^2 = x^2 - 8x + 25##, not the ##x^2 - 8x + 19## that you claim.

Oh crap. Thats so obvious. For some reason I thought 3i X-3i was -3i^2 not -9^2. Good lord I feel embarrassed. Thank for your help Ray.

Also I feel that you were lucky that the complex roots come in conjugates pairs! If one root is 4+3i, the one factor must be [ x - (4+3i)], not [x-4+3i] as you wrote. Also there is a much better way of multiplying [ x - (4+3i)] and [ x - (4-3i)]. Write [ (x-4) + 3i ] * [ (x-4) - 3i]. Now thinking of (x-4) as A and 3i as B we are multiply (A+B)*(A-B) which is A^2 -B^2 or (x-4)^2 - (3i)^2 which is x^2-8x+16 +9 = x^2-8x+25.

Likes 1 person

Related to Finding a polynomial function given zeros

What is a "polynomial function"?

A polynomial function is a mathematical expression that consists of variables and coefficients, and uses only the operations of addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It can have one or more terms, and the terms can be raised to different powers.

What does it mean to "find a polynomial function given zeros"?

When we say "finding a polynomial function given zeros", it means determining the equation of a polynomial function that has a specific set of values, called zeros, that make the function equal to 0 when substituted into the equation.

How do you find a polynomial function given its zeros?

To find a polynomial function given its zeros, you need to follow these steps:

1. Write out the zeros of the function in the form (x - a), where a is the zero.
  2. Multiply all of the (x - a) terms together using the distributive property.
  3. Simplify the resulting expression to get the polynomial function.

Can a polynomial function have more than one zero?

Yes, a polynomial function can have multiple zeros, depending on its degree. For example, a quadratic polynomial function can have a maximum of two zeros, while a cubic polynomial function can have a maximum of three zeros.

What is the importance of finding a polynomial function given its zeros?

Finding a polynomial function given its zeros is important because it allows us to accurately represent and analyze real-world situations, such as financial data, population growth, and physics problems. It also helps us solve equations and make predictions based on the behavior of the function.