Show there's a sequence whose limit is its infimum

You just need to show that for any ##\epsilon>0## you can find an ##N## so that ##x_n\in (I-\epsilon,I+\epsilon)## for all ##n>N##.
zoxee
question:

Suppose ## S \subset \mathbb{R} ## is a nonempty subset of the real numbers that is bounded below.

Show that there exists a sequence ## <x_n> ## such that ## x_n \in S ## for all n and ## \lim (x_n) = inf(S) ##

attempt:

consider an element ## x \in S ## suppose ## x \geq inf(S) + 1/n ## then this would mean that inf(S) is not the greatest lower bound and inf(s) + 1/n is so ## x < inf S + 1/n ## ## \forall n \in \mathbb{N} ## take ## n_1 < n_2 < n_3 < n_4 ... ## then ## x_1 < inf(S) + 1/n_{1} ## and ## x_2 < inf(S) + 1/n_{2} ## and so on so we get a sequence ## inf(S) \leq x_n ... < x_3 < x_2 < x_1 ## hence as n increases 1/n approaches zero (proved already) and x_n approaches inf(S).

Is this all correct as in the solutions all they have stated is:

## inf(S) \leq x_n < inf(S) + 1/n ## and inf(s) + 1/n -> inf(S) so such a sequence exists, I don't understand that

Physics news on Phys.org
alternatively couldn't I say as ## inf(s) \leq x_n < inf(S) + 1/n ## ##lim inf(S) = inf(S)## and##lim (inf(S) + 1/n) = inf(S) ## therefore by the sandwich theorem x_n approaches inf(S) also?

zoxee said:
question:

Suppose ## S \subset \mathbb{R} ## is a nonempty subset of the real numbers that is bounded below.

Show that there exists a sequence ## <x_n> ## such that ## x_n \in S ## for all n and ## \lim (x_n) = inf(S) ##

attempt:

consider an element ## x \in S ## suppose ## x \geq inf(S) + 1/n ## then this would mean that inf(S) is not the greatest lower bound and inf(s) + 1/n is so ## x < inf S + 1/n ## ## \forall n \in \mathbb{N} ## take ## n_1 < n_2 < n_3 < n_4 ... ## then ## x_1 < inf(S) + 1/n_{1} ## and ## x_2 < inf(S) + 1/n_{2} ## and so on so we get a sequence ## inf(S) \leq x_n ... < x_3 < x_2 < x_1 ## hence as n increases 1/n approaches zero (proved already) and x_n approaches inf(S).

Is this all correct as in the solutions all they have stated is:

## inf(S) \leq x_n < inf(S) + 1/n ## and inf(s) + 1/n -> inf(S) so such a sequence exists, I don't understand that

You sort of have the idea but that is a very hard to read and over-complicated explanation. To clean it up, you might start by calling ##I = \inf(S)## so you don't have to keep writing it. Then by the definition of ##\inf(S)## you can say that for each natural number ##n## there is a point ##x_n\in S## in the interval ##(I,I+\frac 1 n)##. Then argue that ##x_n\rightarrow I##.

LCKurtz said:
You sort of have the idea but that is a very hard to read and over-complicated explanation. To clean it up, you might start by calling ##I = \inf(S)## so you don't have to keep writing it. Then by the definition of ##\inf(S)## you can say that for each natural number ##n## there is a point ##x_n\in S## in the interval ##(I,I+\frac 1 n)##. Then argue that ##x_n\rightarrow I##.

ok thank you. Is my argument that x_n -> inf(S) valid though? Or could I use the sandwich theorem?

LCKurtz said:

zoxee said:
ok thank you. Is my argument that x_n -> inf(S) valid though? Or could I use the sandwich theorem?

Probably so, and yes, you could. Just to make it clear, show me below how you would finish the above argument.

Make sure your proof works for ##\mathbb{N}##; i.e. take into consideration that ##\inf S## may not be a limit point of ##S\setminus\{\inf S\}##.

LCKurtz said:
Probably so, and yes, you could. Just to make it clear, show me below how you would finish the above argument.

the limit of I is I and the limit of (I + 1/n) (as 1/n -> 0 (which I've proved previously)) and seeing as x_n is 'sandwiched' by I and I + 1/n the limit of x_n is I, hence a sequence <x_n> which has the infimum as it's limit exists

LCKurtz said:

My other argument would be that if we take ## n_1 < n_2 <n_3 ## and## x_1 < I + 1/n_1## ## x_2 < I + 1/n_2 ## etc then we end up with the sequence ## I \leq x_n <...<x_3<x_2<x_1 < I + 1/n_1 ## and as n approaches infinity then x_n approaches I

zoxee said:
the limit of I is I and the limit of (I + 1/n) (as 1/n -> 0 (which I've proved previously)) and seeing as x_n is 'sandwiched' by I and I + 1/n the limit of x_n is I, hence a sequence <x_n> which has the infimum as it's limit exists

Yes. You should probably use the half closed interval ##[I,I+\frac 1 n)## to select your points to address gopher_p's observation.

zoxee said:
My other argument would be that if we take ## n_1 < n_2 <n_3 ## and## x_1 < I + 1/n_1## ## x_2 < I + 1/n_2 ## etc then we end up with the sequence ## I \leq x_n <...<x_3<x_2<x_1 < I + 1/n_1 ## and as n approaches infinity then x_n approaches I

While you certainly can make a decreasing sequence ##\{x_n\}##, just picking ##x_k < I+\frac 1 {n_k}## doesn't necessarily do it. But it doesn't need to be decreasing anyway.

Related to Show there's a sequence whose limit is its infimum

1. What is a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers that are arranged in a specific order. Each number in the sequence is called a term, and the position of the term in the sequence is called its index.

2. What is a limit of a sequence?

The limit of a sequence is the number that the terms in the sequence get closer and closer to as the index increases. In other words, it is the value that the terms in the sequence approach as the index approaches infinity.

3. What is an infimum?

An infimum is the greatest lower bound of a set of numbers. In other words, it is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the numbers in the set.

4. How can a sequence have a limit that is its infimum?

In order for a sequence to have a limit that is its infimum, the terms in the sequence must get closer and closer to the infimum as the index increases. This means that the infimum must be a limit point of the sequence, and the terms in the sequence must eventually stay within any given distance from the infimum.

5. Why is it important to show that a sequence has a limit that is its infimum?

Showing that a sequence has a limit that is its infimum is important because it provides a way to prove the existence of a minimum value without explicitly knowing what that value is. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as optimization problems, where finding the minimum value is crucial.