Yo man u seem really really smart. i was wondering if u dont mind me

• Thread starter kai0ty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mind
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of order of operations in math and how to remember it using the mnemonic "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally." The final part also touches on the idea of reading vs. working left to right in math.
kai0ty
yo man u seem really really smart. i was wondering if u don't mind me asking where did u go to school and what did u major in. i love math, its fascinating, and u seem to have a very in depth understanding of it so if u don't mind could u tell me? also i don't have a question. 2+2/2 wahts the answer 2 or 3? there are no parenthesis i know that would change it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
2+2/2 = 2+1 = 3

Why? Order of operations.

here's a way to remember...
Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally
P=Parentheses
E=Exponents
M=Multiplication
D=Division
A=Addition
S=Subtraction

In other words, first solve brackets, then parentheses, then multiplication/division, then addition/subtraction last.

In the case of "2 + 2/2"...
First: Division (2/2)
Second: Addition (2+1)

Thus, 2+2/2 = 3

Actually, "Hals" is my cousin. I'm "Halls"!

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
Actually, "Hals" is my cousin. I'm "Halls"!
You all look the same to me.

- Warren

ah, a typo discovered i have. mb. also i thought that you were supposed to work left to right? isn't that a rule too? maybe I am just crazy.

Last edited:
No, you READ left to write (well, those of us of European linguistic bent). You do operations in the defined order as Brum said. As far as you being crazy- I wouldn't presume.

What is your area of expertise?

I am a scientist, so I specialize in various fields of science such as biology, chemistry, physics, and more.

How did you become so smart?

I have always been curious about the world around me and have a passion for learning. I have pursued higher education and continue to stay updated on the latest research and advancements in my field.

Can you recommend any resources for someone looking to learn more about science?

There are many great resources available for learning about science, such as books, online courses, and scientific journals. It's important to choose reputable sources and to continue to question and critically think about the information you are learning.

What inspired you to become a scientist?

I have always been fascinated by the natural world and have a deep desire to understand how things work. I also find it rewarding to contribute to the advancement of knowledge and make discoveries that can benefit society.

What advice do you have for someone interested in pursuing a career in science?

My advice would be to never stop asking questions and to always be curious. Also, don't be afraid to fail and make mistakes, as they are often important steps towards progress and discovery. And most importantly, never stop learning and expanding your knowledge and skills.