Show that differentiable curves have measure zero in R^2

In summary: Thanks again.In summary, (a) We used the mean value theorem for equality to prove that for a differentiable curve parametrized by arc length, the distance between any two points on the curve is equal to the difference in their corresponding parameter values. (b) By considering the integral of the derivative of the curve over a suitable interval, we can show that the curve is contained in a finite number of open discs, whose total area can be made arbitrarily small. (c) Using the definition of the integral and the fact that a set of measure 0 has integral 0, we can show that the integral of a continuous function over a curve is 0.
Demon117

Homework Statement

(a) Let [itex]\alpha:I=[a,b]→R^2[/itex] be a differentiable curve. Assume the parametrization is arc length. Show that for [itex]s_{1},s_{2}\in I, |\alpha(s_{1})-\alpha(s_{2})|≤|s_{1}-s_{2}|[/itex] holds.

(b) Use the previous part to show that given [itex]\epsilon >0[/itex] there are finitely many two dimensional open discs [itex]B_{\epsilon}(x_{i}), i=1,..,n[/itex] such that [itex]\alpha (I)\subset \cup _{i=1..n}B_{\epsilon}(x_{i})[/itex] and [itex]\sum_{i}Area(B_{\epsilon}(x_{i}))<\epsilon[/itex].

2. The attempt at a solution

(a) For this I made an argument using the mean value theorem for equality. For all [itex]s\in I[/itex], we have [itex]|\alpha '(s)|=1[/itex] since the curve is parametrized by arc length. Then, given some [itex]s_{o}\in (s_{1},s_{2})[/itex] for some [itex]s_{1},s_{2}\in[a,b][/itex] we have by the mean value theorem

[itex]\frac{\alpha(s_{1})-\alpha(s_{2})}{s_{1}-s_{2}}=\alpha'(s_{o})[/itex]

whereby,

[itex]\frac{|\alpha(s_{1})-\alpha(s_{2})|}{|s_{1}-s_{2}|}=1[/itex], so equality holds.

I am unsure how I should show that it has to be less than. I will have to think of this more. What I am really stuck on is how to even attempt part (b). Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be applying the mean-value theorem like ##\alpha## was a function in one-variable. But in reality, it is a vector-valued function. Do you know the mean-value theorem for vector-valued functions?

micromass said:
You seem to be applying the mean-value theorem like ##\alpha## was a function in one-variable. But in reality, it is a vector-valued function. Do you know the mean-value theorem for vector-valued functions?

Actually, I hadn't caught that until you pointed it out. I am not familiar with that theorem.

Demon117 said:
Actually, I hadn't caught that until you pointed it out. I am not familiar with that theorem.

OK, doesn't matter, you can do it with integrals easily.

LeTake ##v## a vector with ##\|v\|= 1##. Show that

[tex]\|\alpha(b) - \alpha(a)\| = \int_a^b \alpha^\prime(t)\cdot v ~dt \leq \int_a^b\|\alpha^\prime(t)\|dt[/tex]

then take a suitable ##v## to prove your conjecture.

micromass said:
OK, doesn't matter, you can do it with integrals easily.

LeTake ##v## a vector with ##\|v\|= 1##. Show that

[tex]\|\alpha(b) - \alpha(a)\| = \int_a^b \alpha^\prime(t)\cdot v ~dt \leq \int_a^b\|\alpha^\prime(t)\|dt[/tex]

then take a suitable ##v## to prove your conjecture.

Ok, so I have taken care of that. Thanks for the suggestions, they were quite helpful. I have also shown the second part quite well enough. The only thing that remains is the following:

(c) If h is a bounded continuous function on [itex]R^{2}[/itex], using the previous part, give a reasonable argument as to why

[itex]∫_{\alpha}h dx dy=0[/itex]

should hold.

The thought I had was to use the change of variables theorem to integrate over a larger set containing [itex]\alpha(I)[/itex]. But I suppose you would have to define some local parametrization in [itex]R^2[/itex], unless you took the union of the disks as in part (b) to be the locally parametrized surface? That seems really odd though and doesn't make a lot of sense. . .

So in general, if ##E## is any set of measure ##0## and if ##f## is some function (let's say continuous), then

[tex]\int_E f = 0[/tex]

Try something like

[tex]\left|\int_E f\right| \leq \int_E |f|\leq \int_E \textrm{sup}(|f|)\leq \lambda(E)\textrm{sup}(|f|)[/tex]

micromass said:
So in general, if ##E## is any set of measure ##0## and if ##f## is some function (let's say continuous), then

[tex]\int_E f = 0[/tex]

Try something like

[tex]\left|\int_E f\right| \leq \int_E |f|\leq \int_E \textrm{sup}(|f|)\leq \lambda(E)\textrm{sup}(|f|)[/tex]

What is the significance of [itex]\lambda(E)[/itex] in this case? Could you define that for me? It seems rather arbitrarily chosen to me.

Demon117 said:
What is the significance of [itex]\lambda(E)[/itex] in this case? Could you define that for me? It seems rather arbitrarily chosen to me.

The function ##\lambda## is the Lebesgue measure. Have you not seen this?

micromass said:
The function ##\lambda## is the Lebesgue measure. Have you not seen this?

Yes, now that makes sense. Our notation uses m rather than [itex]\lambda[/itex]. I appreciate your help.

Related to Show that differentiable curves have measure zero in R^2

1. What does it mean for a curve to be differentiable?

For a curve to be differentiable, it means that it has a well-defined tangent line at every point along the curve. In other words, the curve is smooth and has no abrupt changes in direction or slope.

2. Why do differentiable curves have measure zero in R^2?

This is because a differentiable curve in R^2 can be approximated by a series of straight lines, which have zero measure. As the number of lines used for the approximation approaches infinity, the total measure of the curve also approaches zero.

3. How does the concept of measure relate to the size of a curve?

In mathematics, measure is a way to quantify the size or extent of a set. In the case of curves, measure refers to the length of the curve. The measure of a curve in R^2 is zero if it can be approximated by a series of straight lines, as these lines have zero length.

4. Can you give an example of a differentiable curve with measure zero in R^2?

Yes, the Koch snowflake is a classic example of a differentiable curve with measure zero in R^2. It is a fractal curve that can be constructed by repeatedly dividing equilateral triangles into smaller triangles and replacing the middle third of each side with two sides of an equilateral triangle. As the number of iterations increases, the curve becomes more and more self-similar and its length approaches zero.

5. What implications does this concept have in real-world applications?

The concept of differentiable curves having measure zero has important implications in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It allows for the representation and manipulation of complex curves using simpler straight lines, which is essential in many mathematical models and algorithms used in these fields.