Mean and Variance of first hitting (entrance, passage) time

In summary, we are trying to calculate the expected value and variance of the first passage time, T_k, in a random walk starting from 0 and with absorption at k. Using the generating function for the absorption time in an absorbing random walk, we can find the moments of T_k. We can then use these moments to obtain an expression for the expected value and variance of T_k. This method is simpler than using Sterling's approximation or a computer algebra system, and it results in a simple expression.
jimmy7430
Let [itex]Pr(X_{i} = +1) =\frac{2}{3} = 1 - Pr(X_{i} = -1) [/itex], and [itex] S_{n} = \sum{X_{i}}[/itex], For each k≥1, define [itex]T_{k}\ =\ min \left\{n≥1: S_{n} = k \right\}[/itex]. Calculate [itex]E[T_k][/itex], and [itex]Var[T_k][/itex].

2. Homework Equations

[itex]E[T_k] = \sum_{n=1}^{n=∞}{n Pr(T_k = n)} [/itex], and [itex]E[T_k]^2 = \sum_{n=1}^{n=∞}{n^2 Pr(T_k = n)} [/itex] will be used.

The Attempt at a Solution

k is given as an known constant. A theorem says [itex] Pr(T_k = n ) = Pr(S_{1} S_{2} ... S_{n} ≠ 0, S_{n} = k) = \frac{|b|}{n}Pr(S_n = k)[/itex], and
[itex] Pr(S_n = k) = \left( \stackrel{n}{\frac{1}{2}(n+k)} \right) p^{\frac{1}{2}(n+k)}q^{\frac{1}{2}(n-k)} [/itex]

IMHO, problem should be asolved. However, It doesn't seem to have a nice expression. My guess will be use Sterling approximation, or Mathematica. Any comments are welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
jimmy7430 said:
Let [itex]Pr(X_{i} = +1) =\frac{2}{3} = 1 - Pr(X_{i} = -1) [/itex], and [itex] S_{n} = \sum{X_{i}}[/itex], For each k≥1, define [itex]T_{k}\ =\ min \left\{n≥1: S_{n} = k \right\}[/itex]. Calculate [itex]E[T_k][/itex], and [itex]Var[T_k][/itex].

2. Homework Equations

[itex]E[T_k] = \sum_{n=1}^{n=∞}{n Pr(T_k = n)} [/itex], and [itex]E[T_k]^2 = \sum_{n=1}^{n=∞}{n^2 Pr(T_k = n)} [/itex] will be used.

The Attempt at a Solution

k is given as an known constant. A theorem says [itex] Pr(T_k = n ) = Pr(S_{1} S_{2} ... S_{n} ≠ 0, S_{n} = k) = \frac{|b|}{n}Pr(S_n = k)[/itex], and
[itex] Pr(S_n = k) = \left( \stackrel{n}{\frac{1}{2}(n+k)} \right) p^{\frac{1}{2}(n+k)}q^{\frac{1}{2}(n-k)} [/itex]

IMHO, problem should be asolved. However, It doesn't seem to have a nice expression. My guess will be use Sterling approximation, or Mathematica. Any comments are welcome.

In your expression for P(T_k = n) (an expression that I don't believe), what is [itex]|b|? [/itex] What is the meaning of
[tex] \left( \stackrel{n}{\frac{1}{2}(n+k)} \right)?[/tex]

Anyway, using Stirling's (not Sterling's) approximation would not help you to get an *exact* expression, although it might help you to determination an approximate answer. Rather than going to Mathematica (or Maple), my first inclination would be to consult a good book, such as W. Feller, "An Introduction to Probability Theory and Its Applcications", Vol. I (Wiley). It has whole chapters on this material.

Alternatively, you can recognize that to get E(T_k) you need the expected first passage-time in an infinite-state Makov chain, and you can try to apply the usual equations for expected first-passage times to get an expression. (This will result from the solution of infinitely many coupled linear equations in infinitely many unknows, but the special structure makes it tractable.)

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
In your expression for P(T_k = n) (an expression that I don't believe), what is [itex]|b|? [/itex] What is the meaning of
[tex] \left( \stackrel{n}{\frac{1}{2}(n+k)} \right)?[/tex]

This is n choose [tex] \frac{1}{2}(n+k)[/tex]

Appreciate your comments.

jimmy7430 said:
This is n choose [tex] \frac{1}{2}(n+k)[/tex]

Appreciate your comments.

In Chapter 14, page 351 of the Feller book I cited before, there is a simple formula for the generating function [itex] U_z(s) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} s^n P\{T_z = n\}[/itex] of the absorption time Tz in an absorbing random walk on (0,∞), with absorption at 0 and starting from z > 0. The walk has probabilities p and q = 1-p of unit steps up and down, respectively. The problem is essentially the same as yours: you have the interval (-∞,k) with absorption at k and you start from 0, while Feller's case has the interval (0,∞) with absorption at 0 and starts from z>0. Feller's expression is
[tex]U_z(s) = \left[ \frac{1-\sqrt{1-4pqs^2}}{2ps}\right]^z,[/tex]
and you can get the moments [itex] E(T_z^m)[/itex] from this in the usual way:
[tex] E\,T_z = U_z ^{\prime}(1),\; E\, T_z^2 = U_z ^{\prime \prime} (1) + U_z ^{\prime}(1) .[/tex] For Feller's case you need to assume p < q in order to have finite mean and variance of absorption times, and when evaluating the derivatives using a computer package (I used Maple) that assumption must be passed to the system. Of course, you could do the derivatives manually, but this is one case where using a CAS really saves hours of work and a tree's worth of paper. The final results are amazingly simple.

In your case you want to go up instead of down, and you have p > q, so it is essentially equivalent.

RGV

Last edited:

Related to Mean and Variance of first hitting (entrance, passage) time

1. What is the meaning of first hitting time in statistics?

The first hitting time, also known as the entrance time or passage time, is a concept in statistics that refers to the amount of time it takes for a stochastic process to reach a certain threshold or boundary for the first time. This is often used to measure the time it takes for a random variable to reach a certain value or for a system to reach a certain state.

2. How is the mean of first hitting time calculated?

The mean of the first hitting time is calculated by taking the sum of all the possible hitting times and dividing it by the total number of possible outcomes. This is also known as the expected value of the first hitting time and is denoted by E(T).

3. What is the significance of the variance of first hitting time?

The variance of the first hitting time is a measure of the dispersion or variability of the hitting times around the mean. It tells us how spread out the hitting times are from the average or expected hitting time. A higher variance indicates a wider range of possible hitting times, while a lower variance indicates a more consistent or predictable hitting time.

4. How is the first hitting time related to the concept of probability?

The first hitting time is closely related to the concept of probability as it involves the likelihood of a stochastic process reaching a certain threshold or boundary. The first hitting time can be calculated using probability distributions and can be used to make predictions about the behavior of a system or random variable.

5. What are some real-world applications of the first hitting time in science?

The first hitting time has various applications in fields such as finance, physics, and biology. It can be used to model stock prices, predict the time it takes for a particle to reach a certain location, or estimate the time it takes for a disease to spread through a population. It is also commonly used in risk assessment and decision-making processes.