Show Interval On Number Line....1

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interval
In summary, the conversation discusses using WolframAlpha as a learning tool for precalculus, specifically to check answers and understand concepts such as using open and closed circles on a number line to represent intervals. The original problem of |x| < 2 is correctly represented as -2 < x < 2 on the number line. It is important to clearly communicate when seeking help and understanding in math.
mathdad
Show interval on number line.

|x| < 2

Solution:

-2 < x < 2

<-----(---------)------>

Left side parentheses = -2

Right side parentheses = 2

Correct?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes.

Have you heard of WolframAlpha? It's can be a very useful learning tool, especially for checking your answers.

Check this link and take note of the number line down the bottom. Open circles are equivalent to open brackets "(,)" closed circles, "[,]".

Wolfram|Alpha: Computational Knowledge Engine

I know about WolframAlpha but I am not looking just for the answer. I need an explanation as I travel through my precalculus textbook.

RTCNTC said:
I know about WolframAlpha but I am not looking just for the answer. I need an explanation as I travel through my precalculus textbook.

Then you need to make that clear in your post! In your OP you are asking if your working is correct, WolframAlpha can do the checking for you (for simple problems anyway). If you don't understand something, make it clear.

Related to Show Interval On Number Line....1

1. What is a number line?

A number line is a visual representation of numbers placed in order on a straight line. It is used to show the relationship between numbers and their placement in relation to zero.

2. How do you show intervals on a number line?

To show intervals on a number line, mark the starting and ending points of the interval with open or closed circles, depending on whether the endpoints are included or not. Then, draw a line between the two points to represent the interval.

3. What is the purpose of showing intervals on a number line?

The purpose of showing intervals on a number line is to visually represent a range of numbers. It helps to understand the distance between numbers, as well as the relationship between them.

4. What is the difference between an open and closed interval on a number line?

An open interval on a number line is represented by using open circles to indicate that the endpoints are not included in the interval. A closed interval is represented by using closed circles to indicate that the endpoints are included in the interval.

5. How can showing intervals on a number line be helpful in solving equations?

Showing intervals on a number line can be helpful in solving equations by visually representing the possible values of the variable. It can also help in determining whether a certain value is included or excluded from the solution set.