Show (H,+) is isomorphic to (C,+)

I've noticed. if I find more I'll let you know. otherwise it looks good & makes sense to me as an answer to this problem.
HaLAA

Homework Statement

Let, M={ (a -b) (b a):a,b∈ℝ}, show (H,+) is isomorphic as a binary structure to (C,+)

Homework Equations

Isomorphism, Group Theory, Binary Operation

The Attempt at a Solution

Let a,b,c,d∈ℝ
Define f : M→ℂ by f( (a -b) (b a) ) = a+bi

1-1:
Suppose f( (a -b) (b a) )= f( (c -d) (d c)), then a+bi =c+di, thus a=c and b=d, thus f is one to one.

Onto:
Let a+bi∈ℂ , then (a -b) (b a)∈M, so f((a -b) (b a))=a+bi, thus f is onto.

Homomorphic:

f((a -b) (b a) + (c -d ) (d c)))
=f( ((a+c) -(b+d)) ((b+d) -(a+c)))
= (a+c)+(b+d)i
= f((a -b) (b a)) +f((c -d) (d c))

I don't think I show f: M→ℂ is 1-1 and onto correctly because my instructor didn't talk about them to much, can any show me how show f: M→ℂ is 1-1 and onto? thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you define M but the title has (H,+) so I'm a bit confused. is the set M & then when you add the operation it becomes the group (H,+)? & when you say the elements of M are (a - b)*(b*a) do you mean that's ordinary multiplication & subtraction in ℝ? I wonder because I can't get that f is a homomorphism. I get
f( (a-b)(ba) ) + f( (c-d)(dc) ) = (a+bi) + (c+di) = (a+c) + (b+d)i = f( [(a+c) - (b+d)](b+d)(a+c) ) which I don't think equals f( (a-b)(ba) + (c-d)(dc) ) but maybe I'm missing something.

for 1-1 I think you missed a step. you got a+bi = c+di but before that I think you need to say (a-c) + (b-d)i = 0, then a-c=0 & b-d=0. an equivalent way is to start with a+bi ≠ c+di (etc) & conclude that f( (a-b)*(b*a) ) ≠ f( (c-d)*(d*c) )

for onto you got a+bi, & since a & b are real numbers, there is an element (a-b)*(b*a) in M such that f( (a-b)*(b*a) ) = a+bi. that is if I understood M correctly.

fourier jr said:
you define M but the title has (H,+) so I'm a bit confused. is the set M & then when you add the operation it becomes the group (H,+)? & when you say the elements of M are (a - b)*(b*a) do you mean that's ordinary multiplication & subtraction in ℝ? I wonder because I can't get that f is a homomorphism. I get
f( (a-b)(ba) ) + f( (c-d)(dc) ) = (a+bi) + (c+di) = (a+c) + (b+d)i = f( [(a+c) - (b+d)](b+d)(a+c) ) which I don't think equals f( (a-b)(ba) + (c-d)(dc) ) but maybe I'm missing something.

for 1-1 I think you missed a step. you got a+bi = c+di but before that I think you need to say (a-c) + (b-d)i = 0, then a-c=0 & b-d=0. an equivalent way is to start with a+bi ≠ c+di (etc) & conclude that f( (a-b)*(b*a) ) ≠ f( (c-d)*(d*c) )

for onto you got a+bi, & since a & b are real numbers, there is an element (a-b)*(b*a) in M such that f( (a-b)*(b*a) ) = a+bi. that is if I understood M correctly.
That H is a typo, and M is a 2 by 2 matrix that row one is a and -b, row 2 is b and a

wow I was really missing something... it makes a lot more sense now especially the homomorphism proof. i think what i said before still applies though if you replace everything with matrices.

fourier jr said:
wow I was really missing something... it makes a lot more sense now especially the homomorphism proof. i think what i said before still applies though if you replace everything with matrices.
Can you show me where I did indirect? I don't quite follow your word. Thanks

everything was ok I only misunderstood what the elements of M were. I would only add that if a+bi = c+di then (a-c) + (b-d)i = 0 then a-c=0 & b-d=0 to get that a=c & b=d, and also that if you're given a+bi in ℂ it is possible to find an element ## \Big( \begin{matrix} a & -b \\ b & a \end{matrix}\Big)## in M such that ## f\Big( \begin{matrix} a & -b \\ b & a \end{matrix}\Big) = a+bi##

Related to Show (H,+) is isomorphic to (C,+)

1. What does it mean for two structures to be isomorphic?

Two structures are isomorphic if they have the same underlying structure or pattern. In other words, they have the same number of elements, the same operations, and the same relationships between those elements.

2. How do you prove that Show (H,+) is isomorphic to (C,+)?

To prove that two structures are isomorphic, you need to show that there is a one-to-one correspondence between their elements and operations. This means that each element in one structure has a corresponding element in the other structure, and the operations between those elements are the same.

3. What is the significance of isomorphism in mathematics?

Isomorphism is important because it allows us to study and understand complex structures by comparing them to simpler, more familiar structures. It also helps us make connections between seemingly unrelated mathematical concepts.

4. Can two structures be isomorphic but have different names?

Yes, two structures can be isomorphic even if they have different names. Isomorphism is based on the underlying structure and relationships between elements, not on the names or symbols used to represent them.

5. Are there other examples of isomorphic structures besides Show (H,+) and (C,+)?

Yes, there are many examples of isomorphic structures in mathematics. For example, the set of real numbers (R) and the set of complex numbers (C) are isomorphic, as well as the groups of rotations and reflections in a plane. Isomorphic structures can also exist in fields outside of mathematics, such as biology and chemistry.