Should we implement a feature to discourage replying to old threads?

• Thread starter phinds
  • Start date
In summary, if you reply to a thread that is over a year old, you will get a message asking "are you sure you want to reply to this thread, since it is over a year old?"
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Not much more than an idle suggestion, but could you add something to the code such that clicking on the "reply" button would invoke a subroutine that checks the date and if one is replying to a thread older than, say, one year, one gets a message asking "are you sure you want to reply to this thread, since it is over a year old?"

Likes davenn and mfb
Physics news on Phys.org
phinds said:
Not much more than an idle suggestion, but could you add something to the code such that clicking on the "reply" button would invoke a subroutine that checks the date and if one is replying to a thread older than, say, one year, one gets a message asking "are you sure you want to reply to this thread, since it is over a year old?"
That would be nice. Google often leads me to great threads in forums where it seems the people might be able to help, only to find that the thread died 8 years ago and the members are no longer there. At least I check post dates before I reply.

Here we need to do another close down of old threads, I don't think it's been done in a while. I recently had some UFO chaser/conspiracy theorist get angry because he replied to one of Ivan's old UFO threads only to be told that "we don't do that anymore".

Evo said:
That would be nice. Google often leads me to great threads in forums where it seems the people might be able to help, only to find that the thread died 8 years ago and the members are no longer there. At least I check post dates before I reply.

Here we need to do another close down of old threads, I don't think it's been done in a while. I recently had some UFO chaser/conspiracy theorist get angry because he replied to one of Ivan's old UFO threads only to be told that "we don't do that anymore".
I remember some discussion some time back about locking threads more than a certain age, but that didn't seem to go over well and didn't happen.

phinds said:
I remember some discussion some time back about locking threads more than a certain age, but that didn't seem to go over well and didn't happen.
Actually we did mass locks of threads over two years old, it's just time to do it again. Our rules change and many of those old threads no longer meet our current standards, so if they get revived (necroposted), quite often they have to be closed down.

I would think Greg could add a subroutine to the app that just automatically closes any thread over 2 years old and have it scheduled to run maybe once a week. Seems like it would be an easy thing to do (says the guy who doesn't have to do it).

phinds said:
I would think Greg could add a subroutine to the app that just automatically closes any thread over 2 years old and have it scheduled to run maybe once a week. Seems like it would be an easy thing to do (says the guy who doesn't have to do it).
He did a mass closing which I assume was done in that fashion.

At least with the old forum software it was a simple SQL query. Give it to the database, done. Shouldn't be different with the current software.

phinds said:
If you are making it more ambitious for programming "older than one year" OR "author was not active on forum for more than half year".

Likes phinds
Greg Bernhardt said:
Added to my list

I wonder how long that list is ?? :wink: LOL

I am also so tempted some times to respond to a necroposter ... " you realize how old this thread is ? "

Dave

Greg Bernhardt said:
Added to my list
Necropost! Thread older than one week! :biggrin:

Likes Greg Bernhardt

Related to Should we implement a feature to discourage replying to old threads?

1. What is a suggestion on an old thread?

A suggestion on an old thread refers to a recommendation or idea that is being proposed on a discussion or conversation that took place in the past.

2. Why is it important to make suggestions on old threads?

Suggesting on old threads is important because it allows for the continuation and improvement of past discussions. It also helps to keep the conversation relevant and up-to-date.

3. How can I make a suggestion on an old thread?

You can make a suggestion on an old thread by commenting on the original post or responding to someone else's comment. You can also send a direct message to the thread creator if possible.

4. What should I consider before making a suggestion on an old thread?

Before making a suggestion on an old thread, it is important to read through the entire discussion to ensure that your suggestion is relevant and not repetitive. It is also helpful to consider the tone and language used in the original thread.

5. Is there a specific format for making suggestions on old threads?

No, there is no specific format for making suggestions on old threads. However, it is recommended to clearly state your suggestion and provide any necessary context or supporting information.