Should Threads Be Deleted By OP After Replies?

• Thread starter sjb-2812
  • Start date
In summary, threads should be deleted once replies have been made. If help is started, then the thread should not be deleted. However, if the OP does not show any initial effort, the thread should be deleted.
sjb-2812
Hi

Should threads be deleted (by the OP?) once replies have been made? I started to help someone yesterday with some mechanics questions, and returned to the forum this morning to find the entire thread deleted.

I appreciate frustration with some that answers aren't handed out on a plate but if help is started, then isn't it just rude to remove a thread?

Physics news on Phys.org
sjb-2812 said:
Should threads be deleted (by the OP?) once replies have been made? I started to help someone yesterday with some mechanics questions, and returned to the forum this morning to find the entire thread deleted.

We generally do keep and close threads if there are replies. Please report the thread and ask for reconsideration. It's likely not a permanent delete.

Last edited:
I can't report the thread as the entire post has gone :) It was to do with coefficients of restitution and conservation of momentum, and I think the OP was something like tauwee?

OP not only cross posted, but have also shown no effort. Some of the threads were deleted by one Mentor, some by the other, for different reasons. I am not convinced this thread is worth of keeping, but here it is.

maybe PF could develop a two step delete, where the thread is locked, offending content obfuscated and moved to a deleted thread forum which is periodically cleaned out like windows two step file delete. This would allow posters to gather their posts if so desired before it disappears forever.

Oh OK, that's fine - just used to (at another forum) things not being deleted once answers (or prods) have started.

In general we don't delete threads with answers, if it happens it is in most cases just a slip.

In some cases, the only responses are requests for clarification, without any further responses by the OP. If there has been no further progress yet, and the OP did not show any initial effort, I would consider those worthy of deletion.

Rather than try to help someone who shows no initial effort at all, we prefer that you simply report those posts so we can remind them officially that they need to show some effort.

Some mentors (Mark44 comes to mind) will send a PM to anyone who posted in a thread that is being deleted, just as a courtesy. I think this is a nice practice.

jbunniii said:
Some mentors (Mark44 comes to mind) will send a PM to anyone who posted in a thread that is being deleted, just as a courtesy. I think this is a nice practice.

Yes, I liked that too. He's a great mentor.

jbunniii said:

jedishrfu said:
Yes, I liked that too. He's a great mentor.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
Thanks, guys! You made my day!

Likes 1 person

Related to Should Threads Be Deleted By OP After Replies?

1. Should threads be deleted by the original poster (OP) after receiving replies?

It is generally not recommended for OPs to delete threads after receiving replies. This is because threads often contain valuable information and discussions that can benefit other users in the future. Deleting a thread can also disrupt the flow of a conversation and make it difficult for others to follow.

2. Can an OP delete their thread if they no longer want to participate in the discussion?

Yes, an OP has the right to delete their own thread if they no longer wish to participate in the discussion. However, it is courteous to inform other participants before deleting the thread and to provide a brief explanation for why it is being deleted.

3. Is it considered rude for an OP to delete a thread after receiving replies?

It can be seen as rude or disrespectful to delete a thread after receiving replies, especially if the discussion was productive and helpful. It is important to consider the impact of your actions on other users and the community as a whole before deciding to delete a thread.

4. Are there any circumstances where it is acceptable for an OP to delete their thread after replies?

In some cases, an OP may have a valid reason for wanting to delete a thread after receiving replies. This could include personal privacy concerns, sensitive information being shared, or realizing that the thread violates the community guidelines. However, it is still important to consider the potential impact on other users before deleting the thread.

5. What should I do if I want to delete my thread after receiving replies?

If you feel that you have a valid reason for deleting your thread after receiving replies, it is recommended to first inform the other participants and provide a brief explanation for your decision. You can then proceed to delete the thread, keeping in mind the potential impact on other users and the community.