Properly Thanking Members: Etiquette and Tips | Forum Discussion

• Thread starter tonyxon22
  • Start date
In summary, the author is thanking the members for their great answers, but is worried about being rude. He is also thinking about how to properly show his gratitude.
tonyxon22
Hi,
Every time I start a thread I have the same doubt about how to thank the members for their great answers. Usually I just post a reply to my own thread saying thanks to everyone, but I’m afraid that it could sound as if I pretended the thread to be over or that it could stop members to further comments.
On other opportunities I have sent private messages to the members that gave key answers to help me understand the answers to my questions, but I am afraid that could be a little too invasive.
On the other hand, I wonder if there is like any implicit rule where just no one is expecting for the OP to thank for the answers, but again I am afraid of being rude. I mean, after all, not only I gain knowledge by the effort of the members but many times the discussions risen between members caused by different points of view of my question are very interesting, entertaining and enriching . I just don’t feel comfortable with the fact of “abandoning” them without even letting the members know that their posts where appreciated.
I read the forum rules and the “How to” article and didn’t find anything related to this. I know this is a minor issue but I just wanted to hear the opinion of more experienced users of this forum about how to properly show my gratitude since this leaves me thinking every single time I get great answers (which happens very frequently).
“Thanks”(hehehe) and best regards,

Physics news on Phys.org
You can like the posts you found helpful, there's a button next to quote, at the bottom-right corner of each post.

Yes, I have thought about that. I think it is good for good posts as an alternative to sending PMs to their particular members. But in other cases the “like” button is too much of a facebook feature. I mean, sometimes I don’t actually LIKE (as in the literal meaning of the verb) the post but I just want to thank them anyway. Also, what about a general thanks to everybody that participated?

tonyxon22 said:
Yes, I have thought about that. I think it is good for good posts as an alternative to sending PMs to their particular members. But in other cases the “like” button is too much of a facebook feature. I mean, sometimes I don’t actually LIKE (as in the literal meaning of the verb) the post but I just want to thank them anyway. Also, what about a general thanks to everybody that participated?
Yeah, we had a contentious conversation about that after the new PF 4.0 was released. I was in the minority who felt (and continue to feel) that the "like" is a meaningless Facebook kind of fluff whereas the old "thanks" WITH a place for a short specific comment was MUCH more meaningful.

Likes AdityaDev and tonyxon22
phinds said:
Yeah, we had a contentious conversation about that after the new PF 4.0 was released. I was in the minority who felt (and continue to feel) that the "like" is a meaningless Facebook kind of fluff whereas the old "thanks" WITH a place for a short specific comment was MUCH more meaningful.

This comment really deserves a "like"

1. How do I properly thank someone for their answer?

The best way to thank someone for their answer is to simply say "thank you" and express your appreciation for their help. You can also provide specific details about how their answer was helpful and how it contributed to your understanding.

2. Should I thank someone for a correct answer even if it seems obvious?

Yes, it is always polite to thank someone for their answer, even if it seems obvious to you. This shows that you value their contribution and acknowledge their effort in providing an answer.

3. Is it enough to thank someone through a message or should I do it in person?

While a thank you message is always appreciated, thanking someone in person can have a greater impact. It allows for a personal connection and shows that you took the time to express your gratitude.

4. What if I don't understand the answer, should I still thank the person?

Yes, it is still important to thank the person for their answer, even if you don't fully understand it. You can ask for clarification or further explanation, but it is important to acknowledge their effort in trying to help you.

5. Can I thank someone for their answer even if it didn't solve my problem?

Yes, it is still appropriate to thank someone for their answer, even if it didn't solve your problem. They took the time to offer their knowledge and expertise, and it is important to recognize and appreciate that.