Auto-lock ancient threads?

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter AlephZero
  • Start date
In summary, there is a discussion about the issue of reviving old threads on Physics Forums. Some users suggest automatically locking threads that have had no new posts for 12 months, while others argue against it, citing the potential confusion and the ability to link to old threads in new discussions. There is also a suggestion to make old posts visually distinct to avoid confusion. Overall, there is no clear consensus on the best approach.
AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
People keep reviving threads that died years ago. Maybe Google finds them, or sometimes they turn up on the "related threads" list in PF.

Why not automatically lock any thread that has had no new posts for say 12 months? If giving it a "locked" icon might be confusing (suggesting there was something bad about with the content), you could remove the part of the page that let's you create a new post.

EDIT: I see the "related threads" for this one are two from 2008, one from 2005 and one from 2004. I rest my case, m'lud :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's not a bad idea.

AlephZero said:
EDIT: I see the "related threads" for this one are two from 2008, one from 2005 and one from 2004. I rest my case, m'lud :smile:

Well, there was a similar concern last month and there are reasons to not lock ancient threads.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3222200&postcount=5"

Last edited by a moderator:
However if one wants to relate new devellopments to an old thread, one can simply link to that in the OP of a new thread. Mentors can merge those if desired.

Alternately maybe Greg can fix something to made palaeo posts disctinct by fading the fonts or so, so that MiH doesn't have to be promoted to the sixth order of whatever wizards to recognize them.

I'd say twelve months is two short. Three years maybe.

Andre said:
However if one wants to relate new devellopments to an old thread, one can simply link to that in the OP of a new thread. Mentors can merge those if desired.

Yes. I agree.

One could quote any relevant portion, if necessary, then give a link to that thread.

Related to Auto-lock ancient threads?

1. What is "Auto-lock ancient threads"?

"Auto-lock ancient threads" is a feature on forums and discussion boards that automatically locks threads that have not had any new activity for a certain period of time. This prevents users from posting on old or outdated threads.

2. How does "Auto-lock ancient threads" work?

The feature works by setting a timer on each thread. When the timer reaches a certain time limit, the thread is automatically locked, preventing any new replies or comments.

3. Why is "Auto-lock ancient threads" necessary?

This feature is necessary to keep forums organized and relevant. Threads that are old or outdated may contain incorrect information or be irrelevant to current discussions. Auto-locking these threads ensures that users are not misled by old information.

4. Can "Auto-lock ancient threads" be turned off?

Yes, in most cases, forum moderators or administrators have the ability to turn off or customize the auto-lock feature. This allows them to make exceptions for certain threads that may still be relevant or important.

5. Is there a way to unlock a thread that has been auto-locked?

Yes, moderators or administrators typically have the ability to manually unlock a thread that has been auto-locked. However, this should only be done for valid reasons, such as if new information has come to light or the thread is still generating valuable discussion.