Re: Omicron Thread Locked in Lounge

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
In summary, the locked thread was about a possible new forum for discussions beyond biology and medical matters. The reason it was locked was because an existing thread was already up and running in that forum. There was discussion about whether or not it would be possible to create a new forum for discussions, and whether or not omicron would be a good variable name for such a forum.
kyphysics
Just my .2 cents (on a locked thread that was not created by me - but that I commented in):

The reason for the lock was that an existing thread is already up and running in the biological/medical section. My thought was that the Lounge version could be multi-purpose and extended beyond biology.

For example, as news of lockdowns over fears of Omicron have started, one angle of discussion can be along the lines of public policy. Related to that is economics. I have an interest in these areas and find it a bit weird to discuss them in the biology/medical Omicron thread, where the focus is more on the medical side of things.

I wouldn't mind that thread being reopened for non-medical/biology (or just expanded) discussion.

Likes Hamiltonian
Physics news on Phys.org
kyphysics said:
Related to that is economics.
and policy, which evolved or devolved into a political discussion.

We had a discussion of "Coronavirus containment efforts"
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/covid-19-coronavirus-containment-efforts.983707/

The thread had to be heavily moderated due to the injection of politics, personal opinions on policy, and conflicts. Staff thought it better to narrow the discussion to the science (medical, biological) matters.

Last edited:
Likes phinds, pinball1970 and kyphysics
One issue we had early in the Covid pandemic was that there was a lot of misinformation and politics being discussed in GD threads, and we can't allow either one of those. So we responded by trying to keep the Covid discussions confined to scientific topics in the Biology/Medical forum, which seemed to work pretty well.

It might be possible to have an Omicron variant thread in GD, but I would be a bit skeptical.

Likes kyphysics and Astronuc
Until there is some data, I am more interested in if any physicist has ever used omicron as a variable name. For example O=1. :wink:

Last edited:
Paul Bachmann introduced big-O notation. Knuth referred to it as Omicron in a paper...
O and o in Latin and Greek are the same symbol. So that seems to have limited is use.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omicron

Likes Frabjous

1. What is the Omicron variant and why is it causing concern?

The Omicron variant is a new strain of the coronavirus that was first identified in South Africa. It is causing concern because it has a large number of mutations, which could potentially make it more transmissible and resistant to vaccines.

2. Why was the Omicron thread locked in the Lounge?

The Omicron thread was locked in the Lounge because it was deemed to be off-topic and not relevant to the purpose of the forum. The Lounge is meant for casual discussions and the thread was about a serious and sensitive topic related to the pandemic.

3. Is the Omicron variant more dangerous than previous strains?

It is too early to determine if the Omicron variant is more dangerous than previous strains. More research needs to be done to understand its characteristics and potential impact on public health. However, it is important to continue following safety protocols and getting vaccinated to protect against all variants of the virus.

4. Can the current vaccines protect against the Omicron variant?

There is still limited information about the Omicron variant and its response to current vaccines. However, based on previous experience with other variants, it is likely that the vaccines will offer some level of protection against the Omicron variant. Scientists are currently studying the effectiveness of the vaccines against this new strain.

5. What can individuals do to protect themselves from the Omicron variant?

The best way to protect oneself from the Omicron variant is to follow recommended safety measures, such as wearing a mask, practicing social distancing, and getting vaccinated. It is also important to stay informed and follow guidelines from reputable sources, such as the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.