Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

In summary: I think they have tried to make it easier to use with a touch interface.I think it is worth upgrading just for the new features in Win 10. I use a Surface and Win 10 is supposed to work better with it than Win 8.1.In summary, Microsoft has just placed an icon on my taskbar inviting me to sign up for my free copy of Windows 10 when it becomes available. Ordinarily I would go for it (upgrades must be better, right?), but given the complaints levelled at Microsoft's last OS I'm not so sure. I currently have Windows 7 which I'm very happy with, and I'm reluctant to risk spoiling my experience. Some people with more computing expertise than myself think
I have allowed my spare laptop to upgrade. It's a 3-year-old HP with no touchscreen and with 8 Gb RAM. The upgrade took several hours and multiple reboots. Then there was the fumbling-around stage where I had to figure out how to navigate.

The good news is, that all the Microsoft applications survived intact and working, including keeping the settings I had for them originally. This includes Sql Server and its tools, and Visual Studio, and Office. Other applications also work though I had to refresh Firefox (which didn't matter since it was able to re-sync all my settings from the cloud). I'm guardedly optimistic; certainly, so far, it has gone more smoothly than any other upgrade I've ever done, and it managed to preserve most of my preferences as well.

I'll have to give it some time, however, to see. The boot time seems to be much longer than Windows 8.1 was, but that may just be because its still kind of settling in, updating parts of itself.

Computer science news on Phys.org
harborsparrow said:
I'll have to give it some time, however, to see. The boot time seems to be much longer than Windows 8.1 was, but that may just be because its still kind of settling in, updating parts of itself.

That means, is there many more to do, more updates to be installed to get the proper smooth windows experience?
Did you get any running problems, like getting stuck or things similar to that, unsupported files ... etc.?
I'm going to install a clean windows 10 without upgrading and will that give me a buggy OS?:eek:

HyperTechno said:
I'm going to install a clean windows 10 without upgrading and will that give me a buggy OS?:eek:
Highly unlikely.

StevieTNZ said:
Highly unlikely.
Didn't get it ! ! o_O

HyperTechno said:
That means, is there many more to do, more updates to be installed to get the proper smooth windows experience?
Did you get any running problems, like getting stuck or things similar to that, unsupported files ... etc.?

I have had no major problems. However, I didn' t like the Windows 10 start menu, so I upgraded to the latest version of StartIsBack, which makes Windows 8 or 10 act just like Windows 7 in terms of the start menu--if not even better.

Also, the upgrade went very well. It kept preferences and installs for all Microsoft products, including Sql Server and its tools, Visual Studio, and Office 2010. Most other programs also still worked, usually keeping my preferences, which is just wonderful.

Most amazing of all, my VPN still works! It's Cisco, and when I tried connecting to the VPN at work, it politely updated itself and connected as usual. I didn't even need to reconfigure anything. It's by far the easiest upgrade I've ever undergone, and so I don't recommend bothering with a clean install. It's more like an UPDATE rather than an UPGRADE, in fact. Just a very long and complicated updates from 8.1 to 10.

harborsparrow said:
I have had no major problems. However, I didn' t like the Windows 10 start menu, so I upgraded to the latest version of StartIsBack, which makes Windows 8 or 10 act just like Windows 7 in terms of the start menu--if not even better.

Also, the upgrade went very well. It kept preferences and installs for all Microsoft products, including Sql Server and its tools, Visual Studio, and Office 2010. Most other programs also still worked, usually keeping my preferences, which is just wonderful.

Most amazing of all, my VPN still works! It's Cisco, and when I tried connecting to the VPN at work, it politely updated itself and connected as usual. I didn't even need to reconfigure anything. It's by far the easiest upgrade I've ever undergone, and so I don't recommend bothering with a clean install. It's more like an UPDATE rather than an UPGRADE, in fact. Just a very long and complicated updates from 8.1 to 10.
Alright. Then I'll upgrade . As It's better... Thanks.

After all Windows 10 is the last version of Windows ... isn't it? All we get here after will be the updates.

HyperTechno said:
Didn't get it ! ! o_O
You: "Will that give me a buggy OS?" Me: "Highly unlikely."

Is Windows Vista okay?

Omega Supreme said:
Is Windows Vista okay?
Will be the next OS Microsoft will stop supporting in the near future.

I feel bad because I helped my friend purchase a dell laptop Inspiron during time Vista was released, so all the computers came with it. I convinced her to get all the bells and whistles (ie. most expensive). And everyone said Vista was crap. I tried to convince her to upgrade to Windows 7 but she said she's fine with Vista. Should I keep pushing her to upgrade? If Vista is crap why doesn't she want to upgrade to Windows 7 and why is she saying she's fine with Vista?

Omega Supreme said:
I feel bad because I helped my friend purchase a dell laptop Inspiron during time Vista was released, so all the computers came with it. I convinced her to get all the bells and whistles (ie. most expensive). And everyone said Vista was crap. I tried to convince her to upgrade to Windows 7 but she said she's fine with Vista. Should I keep pushing her to upgrade? If Vista is crap why doesn't she want to upgrade to Windows 7 and why is she saying she's fine with Vista?
"Crap" might mean two different things to two different people. Eventually she will want to replace her laptop.

Is Windows Vista usable? Can user live with it and do everything with it?

Vista is windows millenium compared to win 7

What's windows millennium. Forgive me. I don't understand the reference. Are you saying vista is more advanced than win 7?

StevieTNZ said:
You: "Will that give me a buggy OS?" Me: "Highly unlikely."
Got It!

Someone told me that there really was nothing wrong with Windows Vista, but he was very computer savvy and a high-end user. I heard the security was really good on vista so much so that it did not even trust the owner.