Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

In summary: I think they have tried to make it easier to use with a touch interface.I think it is worth upgrading just for the new features in Win 10. I use a Surface and Win 10 is supposed to work better with it than Win 8.1.In summary, Microsoft has just placed an icon on my taskbar inviting me to sign up for my free copy of Windows 10 when it becomes available. Ordinarily I would go for it (upgrades must be better, right?), but given the complaints levelled at Microsoft's last OS I'm not so sure. I currently have Windows 7 which I'm very happy with, and I'm reluctant to risk spoiling my experience. Some people with more computing expertise than myself think
Who got the windows 10 upgrade:woot:? Is it good as expected:wideeyed:? Has the mobile version jump out of the box? :wideeyed:

Computer science news on Phys.org
HyperTechno said:
Who got the windows 10 upgrade:woot:? Is it good as expected:wideeyed:? Has the mobile version jump out of the box? :wideeyed:
I have upgraded to Windows 10. It appears alright. I still use Start8 for my start menu. I uninstalled Start8 but quickly reinstalled it -- didn't like I couldn't customise how I would have liked the Windows 10 start menu to be.

Had an email issue with Outlook 2013, but running sfc /scannow fixed that.

Windows 10 has failed to be upgraded on my windows 8.1 pro computer several times (for unknowns reasons)

Silicon Waffle said:
Windows 10 has failed to be upgraded on my windows 8.1 pro computer several times (for unknowns reasons)
I had the same issue when it automatically downloaded when I turned my laptop on, on the 29th July. Windows Update was trying to install Windows 10, but it kept failing.

In the end I waited until 4pm (12am 29th July EST) for the ISO version to come available -- https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 -- I suggest mounting the ISO while running 8.1 (do not boot from any media), and run setup.exe and let it do its things.

(When I first ran setup.exe after mounting the ISO, it asked 'Upgrade this PC' or 'Create installation media'. When I clicked on 'Upgrade this PC' it resulted in an 'error' -- which was 'Something happened.')

Last edited:
StevieTNZ said:
I had the same issue when it automatically downloaded when I turned my laptop on, on the 29th July. Windows Update was trying to install Windows 10, but it kept failing.

In the end I waited until 4pm (12am 29th July EST) for the ISO version to come available -- https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 -- I suggest mounting the ISO while running 8.1 (do not boot from any media), and run setup.exe and let it do its things.

(When I first ran setup.exe after mounting the ISO, it asked 'Upgrade this PC' or 'Create installation media'. When I clicked on 'Upgrade this PC' it resulted in an 'error' -- which was 'Something happened.')
My problems include a blue screen of death(KERNEL_DATA_IN_PAGE_ERROR), an unexpected restart, an error caused by the running ESET service and...I'm still downloading 2699MB file all over again.
MS seem to have fired all their QA/QC staff and force their users to perform these smoke tests for them. :biggrin:

Oh -- I didn't encounter those kinds of problems.

Hope you have an unlimited data allowance!

hmmm, It appears that it's a bit buggy:nb). When will the mobile OS will come?:confused:

HyperTechno said:
hmmm, It appears that it's a bit buggy:nb).

What problems are you encountering?

I installed Start10 beta*(got alerted to it via email because I installed Start8 to return the start menu to Windows 8.1). I prefer Start10 over Windows 10's start menu, as the later I cannot customise it to how I would like it to be.

*disappointed I couldn't upgrade from Start8 to Start10, but it only costs US$4.99.

Am I understanding W10v.9 correctly? It's already been patched nine times?

Bystander said:
Am I understanding W10v.9 correctly? It's already been patched nine times?
I don't understand. Patched nine times since release 29th July, or patched nine times since the first beta version?

In either case, how do you find out if you have Windows 10 version 9?

StevieTNZ said:
if you have Windows 10 version 9?
No, a screen message is offering W10v.9 --- it's been out for two days (?) and been patched nine times already?

Bystander said:
No, a screen message is offering W10v.9 --- it's been out for two days (?) and been patched nine times already?
I wouldn't know. I downloaded the ISO on 29th July; since then there have probably been updates that have been rolled out.

Bystander said:
You assume they released it on 10.0 and also why surprised. It's a pretty complex piece of software. Some problems are only revealed once many people start using it.

It's been available via developer channels for a few months. I'm sure though there will be daily patches for the first few weeks. Lots to fix once the reports flood in.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm sure though there will be daily patches for the first few weeks.
So, no big reason to be in any hurry, and no reason to think they've opened a "lemonade stand."

Bystander said:
So, no big reason to be in any hurry, and no reason to think they've opened a "lemonade stand."
There is no hurry, but there isn't really a reason to wait. So far I really enjoy 10 compared to 8.1

Bystander said:
Would be interested to see that screen message - are you able to do a print screen and post it here?

StevieTNZ said:
interested to see that screen message
Was sitting in the browser history, and I figured that it would be hanging around forever, so didn't "stuff it and mount it" for the trophy case --- if it pops up again, I'll try to grab it.

I've got the "Get Windoze 10" icon on the lower taskbar, and the 10-V9 message in the browser history on the left. I suspect it's same thing, but just done through Toshiba.

Well 10 crashed on me during a standard defrag. Now it's totally messed up. Might need to do a full recovery.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Well 10 crashed on me during a standard defrag. Now it's totally messed up. Might need to do a full recovery.
Thanks for the alert. I usually perform a defragmentation using Norton Utilities, but that deletes EVERY system restore point. However I guess I could do that, but still revert back to Windows 8.1 if the case be (http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-downgrade-windows-10-windows-8-1-7-1513612).

EDIT: probably a good time to think about doing another system image/individual file backup to my external hard drive, which I keep off-site. I also back up my files to a paid backup server.

Last edited:
HyperTechno said:
hmmm, It appears that it's a bit buggy:nb). When will the mobile OS will come?:confused:[/QUOTE
StevieTNZ said:
What problems are you encountering?
I didn't upgrade yet I just thought it's buggy as some one else has stated on top.
Any way I can't upgrade because I'm using windows 8 and I can't even upgrade to 8.1 at least... for free I meant, I have the genuine copy of windows 8. But I'm so interested on the mobile. Is it the same windows 10 or is there a mobile version?

HyperTechno said:
Any way I can't upgrade because I'm using windows 8 and I can't even upgrade to 8.1 at least... for free I meant, I have the genuine copy of windows 8.
You should be available to upgrade if you use Windows 7, 8, or 8.1.

StevieTNZ said:
You should be available to upgrade if you use Windows 7, 8, or 8.1.
I searched the store but found no update... It says that for some reason my system is not eligible to have the windows 8.1 update. No mention about a windows 10 update either. I'm using Genuine Windows 8 professional can't find any reason why?
I'll try the net. Thanks.

You could ask on Microsoft's community forum ([URL said:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us?auth=1[/URL]), or alternatively call Microsoft up and ask for help.

Ok, I'll try , Thanks...:smile:

Bystander said:
message reads, " (IE icon)GetWindows10-V9"
... and, now "10-V10."

Bystander said:
... and, now "10-V10."
You could upgrade now. I don't know why "they" (Toshiba? -- the link to the IE icon displaying that message was a blank page) are saying Windows 10 version 10. I know updates have been rolled out, but the same has happened for our Windows 8.1 machine (about 10 important updates two to three days ago).

Now I'm getting ads for IE11. Happening to any other "holdouts?"