Should I still go for a physics major

In summary, the speaker is a first-year university student majoring in physics who recently received a low grade on a physics test. They are considering changing their major but are unsure because many others in the class also received similar grades. The test had two parts, multiple choice and long answer questions. The speaker got 40% off on the multiple choice questions and lost 4 marks on one part of a long answer question. The speaker is reminded that struggling and making mistakes is a common experience for scientists and that it takes effort to overcome them. They are encouraged to reflect on their mistakes and work towards improvement.
Woah_Moses
So I'm in my first year of university doing a physics major and I wrote my test for introductory physics. When I wrote the test I didn't feel like it was hard or anything I thought I would do fairly well; the problem is when I got it back I barely passed 56% (this is the lowest mid-term mark I ever got in any course). If I can't even manage to get a decent grade in an introductory physics class what chance do I have later on when it get more difficult; so I'm thinking of changing my major but on the other hand most people in the class got a similar grade (my grade was actually slightly higher than the class average) so maybe I'm not hopeless. I can't decide what to do I need advice.Also: I don't know if this matters or not but the test had 2 parts long answer and multiple choice. There were 9 multiple choice questions worth 8 marks each (I got 5 wrong so 40 percent off there) and 2 long answer questions (divided into several parts) worth 28 marks (I got one part of question 2 wrong and lost 4 marks).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This kind of thing will happen to almost everybody, so don't let it discourage you. Don't think that a scientist is somebody who can read a text easily, immediately understand it and get high grades on tests. On the contrary, a scientist gets stuck a lot of times. But what defines a scientist is that (s)he can overcome this by putting in a lot of effort. The ones who are unwilling to overcome this, get weeded out.

So instead of feeling depressed, try to fix yourself. Try to find out where you went wrong. Try to find out how you can do better next time.

Related to Should I still go for a physics major

1. Should I still go for a physics major if I struggle with math?

While a strong foundation in math is certainly helpful for pursuing a physics major, it is not necessarily a deal breaker. Many students find that their math skills improve as they dive deeper into the subject matter of physics, and there are often resources available such as tutoring or study groups to help with any difficulties. Additionally, there are many different areas of physics that may require varying levels of math proficiency, so it's worth exploring different subfields to find the right fit.

2. Will a physics major limit my career options?

On the contrary, a degree in physics can open up a wide range of opportunities in various industries such as engineering, research, finance, and even healthcare. The analytical and problem-solving skills developed through studying physics are highly sought after in many fields, making physics majors versatile and valuable in the job market.

3. Is a physics major too challenging?

Like any major, a physics degree will come with its own set of challenges. However, with dedication and hard work, it is certainly achievable. Pursuing a subject you are passionate about can make the journey more enjoyable and ultimately lead to a rewarding career. Additionally, there are resources such as professors, peers, and tutoring services available to support students along the way.

4. Can I still have a social life with a physics major?

Balancing academics and a social life can be challenging, but it is definitely possible with good time management skills. Many physics majors find that they have a strong sense of camaraderie with their classmates, as they navigate the rigorous coursework together. Additionally, taking breaks and participating in extracurricular activities can help maintain a healthy work-life balance.

5. Is a physics major worth the investment?

Pursuing a degree in physics requires a significant investment of time and money, and it's natural to question its value. However, a physics degree can lead to many fulfilling and well-paying career opportunities, making it a worthwhile investment in the long run. Additionally, the critical thinking and problem-solving skills gained through studying physics can be applied to many aspects of life, making it a valuable asset regardless of one's career path.